New
Find
Notify
Tools

Viet Nam Veterans Stories
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The last few nights I've gotten to watching Youtube video interviews with Viet Nam vets that share their stories and experiences of Viet Nam.

Amazing stories.

Those soldiers were so disrespected when they returned to the States.

No matter what your political viewpoint, those guys, like all soldiers, were kids and just told to do this do that etc...

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nam, like most any other wars have one thing in common; that those who served, really don't want to talk about it. When I was a boy my great uncle Lee Shively, who had fought in the trenches in War 1 told me some stories about how the life was in that atmosphere. I wish he had told me more + I had been older to remember more since now ALL of those guys are gone.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Nam, like most any other wars have one thing in common; that those who served, really don't want to talk about it. When I was a boy my great uncle Lee Shively, who had fought in the trenches in War 1 told me some stories about how the life was in that atmosphere. I wish he had told me more + I had been older to remember more since now ALL of those guys are gone.

Politicians depend on young'uns not knowing that the parades come after you sleep in a muddy ditch and maybe come back in pieces or not at all.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Politicians depend on young'uns not knowing that the parades come after you sleep in a muddy ditch and maybe come back in pieces or not at all.

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading an article by Ernest Hemingway when he was writing for the Toronto newspaper when he was in Paris in the 20s. He had passed by a pawn shop + saw all these medals for sale + the article was titled, "What Price Valor?" The article is in the book "Byline".

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
things to be forgotten not remembered

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, I have found over the years that those who talk about it most are the ones who weren't there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was a Gallipoli veteran, never spoke about it and the most I heard was at his funeral, mostly from Uncle Doug, his son, who went of to Middle East WW2 in 1940 and finished in Dutch New Guinea in 1945. Grandpas daily diary was matter of fact and very sobering.

We owe such a huge debt to all those who served to keep us free.

Uncle Doug despised politicians ( and Japs!). Like Grandpa he fought for his mates.

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was an Army helicopter pilot in Vietnam (1969 and again 1972). I remember the beautiful sights of flying over the countryside at dawn, the laughs, poker games, and companionship with my friends, and the sweet joy of coming home twice.

The unpleasant things I've pushed into the recesses of my mind, where I hope they will stay forever.

22 years, 9 months, and 16 days serving Uncle Sam, but who's counting? As we used to say, "Everyday is a holiday; every meal is a banquet."

Posts: 258 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that.

Semper Fi.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most guys who were there won't talk about it unless you get to know them well. I was pulling targets with a guy at a match at Fort Bullis so we had a bit of time to talk. We started talking about AK's for some reason and he extolled their virtues, remembering when one got so hot it was cooking off and he dunked into a rice paddy to cool it off and kept on firing. I asked why he was using an AK and where. It seems we weren't supposed to be there, but we were. Reason for the use of the AK was signature. It checked out.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who was in the corp in Nam who had a few souvenir AKS in his hooch before he was medivaced out + lost them all. He said that you didn't want to use them in a fire fight as the sound was distinctly different from the AR (which he called that little GD tinker toy) + could bring in friendly fire.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy the stories from those who were never there, repeating the stories of their buddies who were. Somehow it makes them seem more manly.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote