Tools

Snakebites? In Norway???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Read on down. I am stunned.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...waters-idUSKBN1KS1Q0

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16279 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
European Adder, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus

I had to look it up. I would have never thought to watch for snakes in Norway.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
And then the legend about how Cleopatra died by pressing a beast to her ass.Ever read the Frederick Forsythe short story "There are no snakes in Ireland" ? It is in a book of his short stories called "No Comebacks". Great stories all.I won't say more but read it if you can.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am told there are no poisonous snakes in Sweden.

I see at least one every day I go walking in the forest.

The other day I saw 3 different types.

Surprising really, as we walk in Africa and never see so many snakes!

My friends here say the snakes are looking for me!! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, Saeed, at least the European viper is small and shy, or so they say. Not in the same league as a mamba!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16279 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have just had guests from Norway. They told me of the poisonous snakes there. I was surprised.

Posts: 11904 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
When we visited Bergan a few years ago, the Norwegians were complaining because the temperature was up to 75 degrees F. They also asked, "did you hear about the fire?" The fire had occurred 85 YEARS before that.

As a kid, my father was bitten by a European Viper in Norway. His father treated it with lye soap as I recall. It wasn't the right way to treat it but he lived and even walked normally.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those vipers were probably brought in by those pesky Viking tourists coming home. You know how tourists can be.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup! politicians everywhere

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I am told there are no poisonous snakes in Sweden.

I see at least one every day I go walking in the forest.

The other day I saw 3 different types.

Surprising really, as we walk in Africa and never see so many snakes!

My friends here say the snakes are looking for me!! clap

Depends on the season...never saw so many snakes as last December in Botswana, damn puffadders everywhere in the bush..almost stepped on one...lots of mambas too... Eeker

Definitely snake season...

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, you can even get snake bit in Canada. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i know for certain that in minnesota in the winter there are a species of snow snakes that require frequent applications of snake bite medicine Big Grin Whistling

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snake bite recipe: Yukon Jack with a little Rose's Lime juice.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have them here in Denmark too. A bite will mess up hours of your life if treatment is implied within a few hours. They are found often along coastal lines where the soil is sandy and heather vegetation is growing.

Funny little snakes they are..

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well we have more than our share of rattlers down here. About 35 years ago I killed one that was sunning on a dirt path that had been cleared with a D-9 Cat.blade.That's about 8' long.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was bit by a stunning viper...but for the life of me I can't remember her name!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
in the winter there are a species of snow snakes

It is funny when you tell city people about snow snakes.

They tend to hop through the snow afterwards.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,I can relate,I married her (Satan's sister) + thank my lucky stars that we never had a child before we got divorced.That is a bad penny that keeps showing up.(not the kid but the $$$$$$$).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your bad luck on that NC. I'm 41 years in and she is my best friend. Just got lucky. Just so you know, Satan had one hell of a lot of sisters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Water under the bridge now Dutch. Congrats on your current happiness.My current is just fine but with the caveat that she is a liberal dem. So at night after work when she watches MSNBC,I just put on my ear muffs + read my book.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always figured and heard snakes were low
country inhabitants.
One year elk hunting I saw a Timber rattler
laying in the road dead. Had to get out and
make sure of the ID to believe it.

Map showed that hill at 9700', here in CO.
At times they get 7 feet or more of snow and
mighty damned cold every winter.

Amazing,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Dutch,I can relate,I married her (Satan's sister) + thank my lucky stars that we never had a child before we got divorced.That is a bad penny that keeps showing up.(not the kid but the $$$$$$$).

Satan had a LOT of sisters.. I had one too for a while.. finally got exorcised and now I'm free Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too,thank God. I still see my 1st wife on occasion + I can tolerate her in doses,but that second is one person I never want to see again in this life or the next.(no worries there).

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, my first wife was another of Satan's sisters, but I got a dream daughter out of the deal, so I would go through it again.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got 3 fine sons out of the 1st who have grown + made me proud.Thank God I did'nt have any with #2.I had the thought that a vasectomy might be in order + I'm damned glad I did.I'm perfectly happy with my sons + I don't have to deal with that 2nd bitch ever again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt a bit in the S Texas brush country and in Mexico. I have not seen a rattler in years. What we have seem to have is an explosion of Chaparrals (road runners) which are the real velocirapter of our time. They will kill about anything smaller than them. I think the knock out the rattlers before they get big. They kill mice, quail, lizards, eat bird eggs, you name it.
I hunted up north of Childress, Texas for a number of years and it is cold up there up in the Texas panhandle. There were western diamond backs everywhere.
I think the western diamondbacks like rocky terrain where they can find areas underground to stay warm.
Always carry a garden hoe with a 6' handle in the back of my pickup. Snake wacker!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
My 1st shot on a dove hunt in South Texas was a rattle snake that like the spot I set-up my stool!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Memorial day '09 I stepped on a prairie rattler.
Thought I'd heard something and started looking around. Just happened to look down and was standing on it.
Sure was glad it was cold that day as the snake never moved. My boot heel print was on it's head.

OF course when I first saw it I didn't notice that part. Didn't know I could jump that high or far either.

My first wife had been bitten twice by them. When we met, she still had a bandaid on her toe from the last one.
Believe she was sister to those you guys speak of. Best thing I got out of that family was OUT!

Now she's much worse and giving our youngest son the treatment.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what's worse, Satins sister or poisonous snakes.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Running snake count
New Mexico
2020 2 diamond backs in the back yard,
1 coachwhip

2019 1 diamondback in the backyard
1 monsterous diamondback crossing highway 70. He was at least 8 feet long
1 prairie rattler

2018 1 European asp in Germany

It had probably been 10 years since I had seen a snake before that.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
We are fortunate here in New Zealand to be one of only three countries in the World to be snake free. Nice to be able to go about your business anywhere in the country without looking where you are stepping or putting your hands. Considering we are not too far away from Australia which is loaded with a great variety of snakes it's surprising to be completely snake free. Our border control is strict and snakes are not even permitted in zoos etc here.

Posts: 3825 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote