One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted
https://www.foxnews.com/great-...es-deer-antlered-doe

HUNTINGPublished 1 hour agoLast Update 14 mins ago
Hunter bags rare antlered doe: 'Deer of a lifetime'
By Janine Puhak | Fox News

That’s not a buck!
One Oklahoma hunter was recently in for quite the surprise when he realized the antlered deer he shot was not a male, but rather a female doe.

Over the weekend, outdoorsman Chris Blades was on the prowl in Seminole County when he nabbed what he initially suspected to be “an extremely non-typical buck” that was, in fact, biologically female. Officials for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (ODWC) have since described the doe as "the deer of a lifetime."

“Biologists say this can occur in an average of 1 [in] 10,000 does,” reps for the ODWC wrote on Facebook.

“For this reason, regulations for deer are referred to as ‘antlered’ and ‘antlerless,’ not ‘buck’ and “doe,” the department said, sharing three images of Blades’ catch in a post that has since been liked more than 2,200 times.

When contacted for comment, a spokesperson for the ODWC confirmed that Blades’ catch was a whitetail deer.

Hunting blog Big Game Logic reports that while whitetail does do not typically grow antlers, it is possible for the female to grow them “under rare circumstances,” likely due to a hormonal imbalance.

well i'll be...........

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he was in Washington State he would get a violation for not having a Transgender Tag. Nice deer though.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they take their transgenders pretty seriously in Austin too. A rare find. Reminds me of a story told to me by my buddy Doug who at the time was the editor of the newspaper in Brenham. They had written an article about this supposedly extinct breed of the crane. 2 days later this old white trash pulpwooder comes into te office + says " That articles B.S. I just shot this one today." + flopped it on the counter.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder which bathroom it went to!

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
TransgenDEER !

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
TransgenDEER !

Wow, that's good!

Posts: 15862 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I shot and antlered mule deer doe in Idaho in November of 1986. She had 4 points on the left side and a 10' club on the right and she was also still in velvet, in the snow. I was hunting just north of the Idaho national laboratories nuclear power plant sites.

There was an antlered cow elk also taken that year by a female hunter but not near the lab site.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I just read the article on this in the current "Sporting Classics" mag.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote