New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparing American and Australian saddles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having viewed photographs of American and Australian cowmen beginning with wranglers of the late nineteenth century, I notice that despite their doing nearly identical jobs, in identical terrain, and [partially] identical climates, saddles appear to be different. I know little about American "Western" saddles and essentially nothing of wranglers' saddles of rural Australia. I'm confident that some American and Australian saddle makers of the era were familiar with differences. Yet there appears to have been little synthesizing to a common style.

As best you can, please identify differences and why differences persisted.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have noticed that aussie saddle are down under faint

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think the differences come from Aussies building on their British heritage , while the Americans just continued on the Spanish route. More than one way to skin a cow. Smiler The American way is a lot more physical, reflected in a much sturdier saddle.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the Ausy saddles but do they fall along the same lines as an English? That would be worthless in the cow business. One needs a horn for dallying (preferably wrapped thick w/ rawhide) + a high cantle. I have a Calvin Allen roping saddle.Since I am left handed I worked heeler on team roping.To old for that now.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I'm not familiar with the Ausy saddles but do they fall along the same lines as an English? That would be worthless in the cow business. One needs a horn for dallying (preferably wrapped thick w/ rawhide) + a high cantle. I have a Calvin Allen roping saddle.Since I am left handed I worked heeler on team roping.To old for that now.

Australians don't rope or dally. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how do they work cattle?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....very well, thank you Roll Eyes...we use dogs, stock whips and very well trained horses, although on the bigger cattle stations its mostly quadbikes and helicopters,......with a couple of MILLION square acres theres not much time for horses nowdays.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
....very well, thank you Roll Eyes...we use dogs, stock whips and very well trained horses, although on the bigger cattle stations its mostly quadbikes and helicopters,......with a couple of MILLION square acres theres not much time for horses nowdays.

Roger
Roger, I sense the beginnings of an AHA! moment.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does still look a lot like an English hunting saddle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
quote:

Roger

Roger, I have had my AHA! moment. Stashed in my archived motion picture drive is "The Overlanders" from the 1940, just after the war, I believe. Chips Rafferty stars in the dramatized recounting of Australia's driving more than one million head of cattle from Northern Territory, and possibly West Australia, east to Queensland when a Japanese invasion seemed to be a reasonable probability, [i]circa]/i] 1942.

From viewing the process, I now how manipulating cattle differs from American drovers' method, plus I understand why saddles differ.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Roger

Roger, I have had my AHA! moment. Stashed in my archived motion picture only back-up drive is "The Overlanders" from the 1940, just after the war, I believe. Chips Rafferty stars in the dramatized recounting of Australia's driving more than one million head of cattle from Northern Territory, and possibly West Australia, east to Queensland when a Japanese invasion seemed to be a reasonable probability, [i]circa]/i] 1942.

From viewing the process, I now how manipulating cattle differs from American drovers' method, plus I understand why saddles differ.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Roger

Roger, I have had my AHA! moment. Stashed in my archived motion picture only back-up drive is "The Overlanders" from the 1940s, just after the war, I believe. Chips Rafferty stars in the dramatized recounting of Australia's driving more than one million head of cattle from Northern Territory, and possibly West Australia, east to Queensland when a Japanese invasion seemed to be a reasonable probability, [i]circa]/i] 1942.