WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visual bore sighting a scope, scope adjustments are backward?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When boresighting my rifle, the old fashioned way, looking through the rifle bore at a target, the scope adjustments are reversed... UP moved the crosshairs down. Is this normal and if so, why?

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
UP moved the crosshairs down. Is this normal and if so, why?

Up refers to the bullet impact on the target.
to raise the point of impact on the target the crosshairs moves down.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Next time you are at you eye doctor,check out his chart on how the eye takes a sight in through the lense upside down but when it registers in your brain it is right up.noprides answer is better

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s the opposite.
You can see the crosshairs move on the target as you adjust the turrets.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
nopride2 put it succinctly and correctly.
Realign the bore after the adjustment(s), crosshair should be on or close to the bore sight point

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cross-hairs move opposite to the bullet direction. Down is up, and right is left.

I can know that, but if I don't deliberately remind myself to think backwards I'll turn them backwards first most of the time.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote