New
Find
Notify
Tools

British actors portraying Americans and vice versa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Something I noticed to which I had paid no attention is the ability of British actors to portray Americans. I recently viewed two DVDs, "Return to Me" and the 1987 TV motion picture "The Quick and the Dead." Both motion pictures had British actors portraying an American. I examined and/or played every one of my collection - we're talking about nearly four hundred movies. The only American actor I could identify who is portraying a British character is Jeffrey Jones as Inspector Lestrade in "Without a Clue" (1988).

British actors portraying Americans with mid-western accents are myriad. I even identified Laurence Harvey portraying an American with a substantial southern accent in "The Outrage" (1964).

I am interested in "why" - why can, and do, British actors make this transition while American actors cannot or do not?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because they are wanna be Americans.Who wants to be a faggy Brit?

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Hugh Laurie is another good example. After watching "House" over the years I found out he was a Brit (+ damned fine pianist as well)then started watching his earlier BBC works;Jeeves + Wooster + A Bit Of Fry + Laurie.Several others as well but those last 2 series I recommend;a lot of fun.Also his last action drama was called "The Night Manager" where he plays an international arms dealer.Good also.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Perhaps being a faggy brit means you can make a better quality production than much of the rubbish that the "entertainment" industry in the US produces.... ?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would Americans stoop so low, always love the old Native Americans played by a white american. Seem to be More non American actors in American movies than British. Still love Sophia Loren. Smiler Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Hillerman (RIP) played "Higgins" on Magnum PI. I believe he received a letter from a Brit praising his acting ability and how wonderful it was to see a Brit playing such a great role in an American show. Hillerman's response was that he was, in fact, an American redneck and damned proud of it.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz,remember in Jimmy Stewart's Winchester 73, Rock Hudson played the Indian;In Hondo the indian who killed John Wayne's dog (you know he was gonna die bad)was the Italian hit man from the Valachi papers. + how many times has Anthony Quin played an Indian?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom Hardy, a British actor starred in Lawless and The Drop.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
In a few of the John Ford/John Wayne westerns, the Indians were played by Filipinos.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Follow the money

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
FWIW there are far more Canadians playing Americans

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that Lawrence Harvey plated W.B. Travis in John Wayne's "The Alamo".

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Damien Lewis is a Brit actor that portrayed Maj. Dick Winters in Band of Brothers. IIRC quite a few of those actors were Brits playing Americans.

They did a dang fine job too!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damien Lewis is a great actor.My 1st introduction to him was in "Band Of Brothers" but have seen in many others since then.I read an interview with him in the New Yorker where it was mentioned that when he was playing Brody in the HBO series "Homeland" he made $250,000.00 per installment.Nice work if you can get it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Perhaps being a faggy brit means you can make a better quality production than much of the rubbish that the "entertainment" industry in the US produces.... ?

I am speaking of the UK not the rest of the Colonies.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
FWIW there are far more Canadians playing Americans

Surprising how many and going back to silent film days. Mary Pickford and William Shatner are the first to come to mind.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty,William Shatner is at his best by not speaking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
In all honesty,William Shatner is at his best by not speaking.

I think his success has gone to his head. Big Grin Popularity built on one role. OK, so Robin Williams was an American who specialized in comedy, most of which doesn't work for me, but I remember him best as the Russian anarchist, who blew himself up in some movie that escapes me at the moment. Great job in a serious role.

Grizz

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have also noticed that British and Australian actors easily can speak with any American accent they want to, Southern, Midwest, whatever. Reason? Their speech is not naturally formed, but is affected, and thus, easily dropped. It takes a lot more work of the facial muscles and vocal cords to do.
Not the other way around unless you work at it.
Bottom line, our speech, mostly, is a lazier, and more efficient, way to do English.

Posts: 17091 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed,for we are all transplants from the mother country,(mainly,as there are dutch + germans as well)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have also noticed that British and Australian actors easily can speak with any American accent they want to, Southern, Midwest, whatever. Reason? Their speech is not naturally formed, but is affected, and thus, easily dropped. It takes a lot more work of the facial muscles and vocal cords to do.
Bottom line, our speech, mostly, is a lazier, and more efficient, way to do English.

You talking about Mel Gibson here ? Smiler Difference between his early movies and the Die Hard series is night and day.

Grizz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:

You talking about Mel Gibson here ? Smiler Difference between his early movies and the Die Hard series is night and day.

Grizz

Mel Gibson was born in New York and his father moved the family to Australia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Bruce Willis in the "Die Hard" series?

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My mistake, but Mel's accent has evolved. Smiler

Grizz

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lapidary:
John Hillerman (RIP) played "Higgins" on Magnum PI. I believe he received a letter from a Brit praising his acting ability and how wonderful it was to see a Brit playing such a great role in an American show. Hillerman's response was that he was, in fact, an American redneck and damned proud of it.

Hillerman wasn't just an American, he was by-God Texan.
Muzza, the United States entertainment industry is a cesspool worthy of the AR Political Forum.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And returning to my original query . . .

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In answer to your original enquiry;there must not be any monetary interest in it.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The Brits have a much deeper commitment to acting as a profession and as a rule undergo a lot more training. Americans tend to fast-track and/or use family connections in the industry. If you watch a variety of BBC productions, even the silly shows are well acted.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that + add to the fact quite a few British actors actually started in REAL theatre.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brits don't meet the American standard of beauty and handsomeness. Smiler Just an idle thought I had this morning. Brits like their characters more true to real life.

Grizz

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not so, people find it easier to speak with whatever “accent” is native to them. For a brit trying to sound American it requires relearning the way words are formed just as it does the other way around.

Do you really think people in the rest of the English speaking world spend their whole lives trying to put on whatever thier native accent is and just by dropping it with a sigh of relief they will then revert to sounding American ?

Posts: 7153 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
quote:

Not so, people find it easier to speak with whatever “accent” is native to them. For a brit trying to sound American it requires relearning the way words are formed just as it does the other way around.

Do you really think people in the rest of the English speaking world spend their whole lives trying to put on whatever thier native accent is and just by dropping it with a sigh of relief they will then revert to sounding American ?
I have been informed that English actors - that is, those raised in central and southern England - are are able to emulate or replicate a Southern American accent, excluding Appalachia and upstate Alabama and Mississippi, with almost no retraining.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is in large part because that is where their ancestors came from + thus was spoken in the home.The Appalachians has a very large Scottish heritage of immigrants from back in the day.And your cradle language will stay with you.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:

The real reason Hollywood never portrays anyone in a good light!

They have been re-writing history, to make it look all hero’s are Americans!!

I have read books, and seen the movies Hollywood made of them.

Nothing even comes close to the truth!

I suppose one can understand this sort of thing.

Coming from a lot who have no history, no culture! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Saeed, care to share some of the history of great historical figures in UAE?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed kinda on + off the subject,but have you ever read "The Seven Pillars Of Wisdom" by T.E. Lawrence?This is an honest enquiry w/ no ax to grind.If not I recommend it highly. I also must say that David Leans movie "Lawrence Of Arabia" was the most true to form as books to movies go that I have ever seen. (albeate his buggery from the turks was only a beating).O'toole even looks like him,+ his passion for the House Of Saud to take ownership over their land from the Ottoman turks is very well done. (Then the dealings w/ Allenby + the Brits,but that's another story.One of my favorite movies + once again because it actually follows his writings so closely.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed kinda on + off the subject,but have you ever read "The Seven Pillars Of Wisdom" by T.E. Lawrence?This is an honest enquiry w/ no ax to grind.If not I recommend it highly. I also must say that David Leans movie "Lawrence Of Arabia" was the most true to form as books to movies go that I have ever seen. (albeate his buggery from the turks was only a beating).O'toole even looks like him,+ his passion for the House Of Saud to take ownership over their land from the Ottoman turks is very well done. (Then the dealings w/ Allenby + the Brits,but that's another story.One of my favorite movies + once again because it actually follows his writings so closely.

I have not read the book, but seen the film.

Typical bloody Brits.

No one could trust them!

They went and gave Palestine to the new Nazis, the Zionist!

And look where it got us!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
saeed,truly,read the book.T.E Lawrence was completely behind an independant Arabia.He felt the cause as his own + backed his thoughts up with personal action.But as always overzealous warriors are over ridden after the smoke clears by the political fringe (starting w/ Allenby) + moving to the House Of Lords.But don't forget that the decisions made then by the powers that be played REAL hell on all of Europe 20 years later.All things considered,in the aftermath,Arabia did better than most of Europe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hugh Laurie is another good example. After watching "House" over the years I found out he was a Brit (+ damned fine pianist as well)then started watching his earlier BBC works;Jeeves + Wooster + A Bit Of Fry + Laurie.Several others as well but those last 2 series I recommend;a lot of fun.Also his last action drama was called "The Night Manager" where he plays an international arms dealer.Good also.

The BlackAdder you must see also, that is a must .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Saeed, care to share some of the history of great historical figures in UAE?

rotflmo

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote