New
Find
Notify
Tools

RedBreast Irish Wiskey
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank have no idea, but it was after the shoot. It was very good. Like I said it coughed me, but enjoyable. To me, it was like chewing a tobacco lead. My mother’s family raised tobacco. I will say it was good stuff. I think the label was red.

Next time I am in Lexington I will take a look at Aberlour

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
We had several
Skip brought the Aberlour
Tony had Laphroaig
I had Ardbeg
There was also Lagavulin
Think there was also a Bowmore and a Balvenie

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
BTW , we are considering a September shoot again this year
will advise if we firm it up

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was Bowmore, but I can’t be sure. It was good stuff. Looking at the bottles you listed, you guys gave us quality stuff.

Y’uns need to come to Kentucky, and let me repay the hospitality. Honor demands it,

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True to my Scotch ancestry, I'll drink any given amount.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is such an enjoyable thread. Looks like the worst thing that could happen here is someone could get snockered doing taste tests.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to have to buy a bottle of Bowmore, and see how my memory reacts.

Please others post your bottles, taste, and thoughts.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Down to my last bottle of my favorite

Each bottle serial numbered

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows i cannot post pics, but for table bourbon I have been enjoying Larceny Bourbon. This is a wheaten made by Heaven Hill with barrels from 6-10 years old.

Vanilla extract and oak are the dominant notes. I just made a butter carnal source with two ounces and seared salmon steaks in it.

Detorre, have you tried Monkey Shoulder?

Really, brought out the oak. This bottle is replacing the Old Fritsgerald line which will be limited relase, bottle in bond now.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In the mid 70's I was quite taken with W.L. Weller,a good sipping bourbon.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on Weller. But even in KY you can’t find it. I was out at our deer lease in W.KY and they had a case of Weller Special Reserve for 44 bucks a bottle at a late night pay here, get hold up here liquor store. Last week in Lexington you could not steal a bottle.

If anyone has some Weller 12 and wants to quit drinking, I will pay the shipping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wild Turkey used to be considered the top of the straight whiskey line with my crowd in the old days. Now I hear of lot's of different brands, where did they all come from? Some day I'd like to taste Pappy Van Winkle but you can't even special order it here in Oregon.
In the scotch department, Famous Grouse (blend) is my everyday whisky and MacCallan my favorite single malt altho currently I also have some Singleton and Glenlevit both 12's in the cupboard. Last year in Argentina I had a couple of locally produced scotchs. Terrible stuff but they were proud of it. Wonder what we'll find in Brazil next week?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should mention the Weller Norman Conquest was drinking in the 70s was from the Stizle-Weller Distillery founded by the Pappy in Pappy Van Winkle. He was a salesman for WL Weller and bought the distillery with Stizel.

There is no Stizel-Weller juice left and has not been since 2013. Buffalo Trace, which was Stagg and sold to Sazerac, pens Weller brand and license Van Winkle brand from the family. They select the barrels for the Winkle family line. This licensing happened in 2007.

The most common date for the last bottles of the Pappy line to have Stizel-Weller juice is 2013.

Blade and Bow owner by Diageo claims to use the last of Stizel-Weller juice. They own the old distillery location and was housing, but not distilling Bulliet. Blade and Bow can’t have much S-W product.

Diageo after years of sourcing Bulliett now distilles and bottles in Shelby County facility. Originally, Four Roses made Bulliett, but the two entities parted ways leading to sourcing out of KY.

S-W controlled the Old Fritsgeraold brand, but lost it is now owned Heaven Hill.

I never had true S-W distilled bourbon. I was too young. However, I do like Buffalo Trace Weller and Van Winkle lines. I like Heaven Hill. Heaven Hiis moving away from Old Frits brand/label with its Larceny label. Old Frits is being reserved for limited, bottled in bond, releases.

Willet a craft distillery using a pot still just barreled its first Wheat Bourbon this year. I hope we both make it for me to drink it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes! Is there going to be a quiz later?

You really know your S--- STUFF!

We have some small distillers here in Oregon. Because we have state owned liquor stores they can get some shelf space which isn't the case in other markets. There is some interesting booze being produced. But I haven't had anything that would compete in the Scotch/Irish market. Mostly Canadian varieties plus gin and vodka.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife loves the French 75 made with Plymouth Gin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though I don't drink it anymore its sad to hear that its gone away.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a gin fan but my wife loves Hendricks. It's a "botanical". Was Plymouth gin similar to that? If so, maybe your wife might try it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next time we are in a city, I will have one made with Hendricks and find out.

I have tried the Plymouth neat for taste. It is very something with citrus. Kind of like pine needle smell turned into a flavor with citrus.

It is fine in those French 75s. I got playing around and made one without the simple syrup. It was a completely different drink. First taste, I hated it, Second was intriguing, four nips in I loved it. Go figure: Juice of a half lemon, 1 oz of Plymouth, shaken over lice, strained into a white whine glass, and tipped with Champagne.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for gin,Bombay.I never really took to the Saphire but the original was quite good. Besides I liked the label with the picture of Queen Victoria on the face + on the side the comment that 'Gin is a state of Mind'. That's the damned truth!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the gin subject;r/e Martinis : during + after War 2 some Americans when wanting a very dry martini would order a Montgomery martini.That was a recipe for a 20/1 blend of gin to vermouth as during the war Monty would not advance unless he felt he had a 20 to 1 advantage.The Brits did not like this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
On the gin subject;r/e Martinis : during + after War 2 some Americans when wanting a very dry martini would order a Montgomery martini.That was a recipe for a 20/1 blend of gin to vermouth as during the war Monty would not advance unless he felt he had a 20 to 1 advantage.The Brits did not like this.

Do you mean 20 ounces of gin to 1 ounce to vermouth with that 20/1?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! Churchill's idea was to just wave the vermouth cork over the top of the gin. I tend to agree; vermouth is a waste mixing it with good gin. But then we are talking about a fellow that started his day with a bit of cognac. And as history has proved, he performed quite well. As he was known to say "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Speaking of describing peaty and smokey scotches, I once bought a bottle of Laphroaig and my wife described it as drinking a campfire through a leather straw!
Thought that was pretty accurate.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished To Have and Have Another by Philip Greene document Hemingway and his friends/associates life through drink.

Greene credits Hemmingway with creating the Montgomery Martini at 15 to 1 gin to vermouth.

His character Across the River and Into the Trees order the above by the name.

Have been enjoying Monkey Shoulder blended malt Scotch. It taste, to me, like the right blend of leather and tobacco with no burn anywhere on the tongue or throat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have that book, "To Have + Have Another" as well as "Across The River + Into the trees". I haven't read the latter in over 45 years so I may be remembering incorrectly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Martini chapter starts on page 179 and the Montgomery section starts on 181.

Not trying to be a jerk. I am just reporting,.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love this forum. My late uncle was a dedicated silver bullet drinker and stated that a bottle of vermouth should last 100 years!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got inspired last night and made a Martini like drink as follows:

2 ounces of Plymouth,
Juice of 1/2 lime;
1 ounce of Dolin Rouge Chambery Vermouth (I do like this stuff. I can drink it neat, but I can drink Worchester sauce)

Mixed over ice, stirred, strained into and severed in a chilled coupe. It was better in the beginning and as the drink went on not as enjoyable. I do not know why. I think dry vermouth would have worked better as the Chmabery may have overtaken the drink.

I much prefer a Manhattan to the above.

Last week we tried the regular red label Red Breast 12 year. Very good whiskey. A hint of sherry dryness, butter biscuit and green hay to may taste. May have liked it better than the orangelable/ustau Redbrest I kept for myself. We were not able to taste them side by side.

Had what is sadly become a rare treat as well. Weller 12 year. Everyone thinks it is the same mash bill as Van Winkle 12 Lot B and the Pappy's only to be culled and aged in a different warehouse. Five years ago in KY you could get a bottle for 45 bucks. Now the green label "reserve' Weller sales for $45. You can find none of them.

Great Bourbon. Yes, it is subtly sweet. I like that. I get caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, oak, a little black pepper with no spice. Maybe, Maybe, a little banana pudding. Don't shot me I am going from memory here. Perfect classic Bourbon notes. I have never tired it beside its sister Van Winkle Lot B.

Now, if I can find that cask strength, non-filtered Weller they just relapsed.

I will be in Louisville this weekend. We will see what is given.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just came back from Brazil where liquor options were pretty limited. Picked up a liter of JW Black, +- $40 US. Most of our fellow travelers (6) said they didn't care for scotch. If they didn't like it, why did I have to replace it after one evening is what I'd like to know. Bought some of the local hooch, $3 a liter, it lasted a much longer time. It was hard to find something to cut it with in camp.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Monkey shoulder??? Will have to look it up...

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I think we need a Wild Boar hunt and Scotch tasting weekend.

What say yea?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guy. In Louisville and have learned a few things. Total Wine in Lexington has not yet, unless the guy is lying to me, received a shipment of the unfiltered, barrel proof Weller Full Proof.

He told me they do not do flash sales, advertise shipments, or you call and they hold one.

He said they had a barrel pick that should be here in August. The only issue is I live 2 hours from Lexington and 4 from Louisville.

The Gault House, where we stay, Bourbon Room is under renovative, construction, and is closed until the fall. A new Bourbon mostly bar opened up just up the road from the Gault House. They had Weller 12 and 107, but they were not on the Bourbon List. They also had Van Winckle 12, but it was not listed. I got talking with the bartender who broke them out for me.

They had Weller SR (green label) and in a half gallon jug. It was listed. This tells me green label should not be so damn hard to find or 45 dollars for a 750ml bottle. Oh, well.

I had the Weller 12. I know I had it the last week. But the Van Winckle 12 was 60 dollars a two ounce pour! Last time I had a pour in a restaurant it was 30dollars. That was about 2 years ago.

Would love to try them side by side, but a man has to eat (New York Stip by the way at Morton’s). Desert wa 20 year, tawny Taylor Fladgate port.

You would love Monkey Shoulder. A cheaper, shorter trip would be give me 7 days notice and come over to KY.

I will never understand how a place with such land, hunting, and whiskey can be so socialist as Scotland is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It certainly would be nice to see Weller commercially available again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After not being able to locate a bottle of Weller 12 or even Special Reserve for purchase. I did have pours at numerous bars at MSRP for a bottle (see the larger thread). I broke into uncharted, ground for me.

That being the high proof, high rye bourbon. Weller, the Winkle family, Fitzgerald, Maker’s Mark, Larceny are all Wheated Bourbons.

Rye Bourbon is at least 51 percent corn (usually higher), some percentage of rye second to corn, and a bit of barley.
Wheated Bourbon replaces the rye with wheat.

High proof to me is anything over 100. I have always been a 90-96 proof gentleman. The argument for high proofs is higher proof means less water added, more alcohol to bring more flavor. A lot of high proofs are single barrel, barrel strength editions that I have been told was a market move to counter single malt scotch back in the day. Blanton’s was the “first” single barrel at 95 proof. Then came Stagg. Jim Beam with Booker’s took it a step further with Booker’s being single barrel high proof at 130 straight from the barrel to bottle.

I was getting sad inside the Total Wine in Louisville. Only Wheater being Makers in the self. They had there tasting statist up wota store pick Knob Creek (Jim Beam label) being given away. After paying MSRP for pours of Weller, I said out loud (folks looked at me), if they are going to give it away then I am going to drink it.

The math is single barrel at 120 proof barrel strength with high rye mash bill. However, it is aged 14 years and 4 months. Great age.

Down it goes. Wow! the rye and high proof are not burning my throat and tongue. The flavor is not subtle. It is concentrated and syrupy butter, sugar, maple, vanilla, and vanilla sweetnesses. The finish is biscuit with a hint of oak. No water or ice here unless you want to thin the syrup feel.

The price was $55.00 dollars with tax. A 14 year old bourbon for $55.00. I matched a bottle on the self to one we were tasting. If you can sample these a Knob Creek, single barrel store picks and match one to a sample you like buy it.

My mind is blown. I do not know who I am. I do not really like Knob Creek small batch (standard bottle). I drink EH Taylor small batch for that. I can’t find it on store selves either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I did like the original Wellers + my only experience with rye was "old Overholt's". (My spell check says I should call it old overcoats which is actually what we always called it.)

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Joshua, if you ever have the opportunity to partake of Redbreast 21 jump on it. I recently received a bottle as a gift. It is without a doubt the best whisky, scotch, Irish or blended, I have ever had . . . and I have to confess to have had way more than my fair share.

Mike

Posts: 21093 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will seek out a pour.

I have the 15 here in the house.