New
Find
Notify
Tools

RedBreast Irish Wiskey
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of my KY or TN friends know if I can find RedBrest Irish Wiskey in Lexington or Knoxville area?

Thank you

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
i thought Total Wine carried it there as well
(they do here in Texas)
or try Jig & Reel

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will check and see if those stories are in Lexington or TN.

KY will not let you order alcohol directly to your dooor. You have to find it in store, or order enough so the store will have it shipped to them.

There was a Court case that narrowly allowed small farm wine to be ordered and shipped directly to the purchaser under the Dormant Commerce Clause, but it’s effect has been limited.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Total Wine does have 12 year at both Knoxville and Lexington. Thank you Clan Colla.

On my way home, I will stop in and get a bottle. I have been looking for a more premium Irish. I use Jameson like table wine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Middleton.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
happy to assist
enjoy

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As Mark Twain said,"An Irishman's belly is made of copper.Give him just beer + he'll be dead in a month,but give him whiskey + he'll live forever."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is funny, because I hate beer of all kinds. If there were just beer to drink, then I would drink iced tea.

If you read this and love beer don’t hate me. My position means there is that much more beer for you.

I am not Irish though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been enjoying Tullamore D.E.W Irish Whiskey. I get it at Costco.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did'nt know Costco sold spirits.why not,they sell everything else.They do have the best steaks+ pork chops.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a Costco. In the moves maybe,.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Costco’s wine selection is very good and their own brand (Kirkland) of spirts is excellent.
Try their Vodka and Canadian Whiskey, they are great.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I have never seen a Costco. In the moves maybe,.

A wasted life then Big Grin

Costco is welfare for upper middle class and rich Americans. It is a national treasure.

13 percent markup on everything. Use executive membership and Costco visa and knock another 4 percent off.

Where else can you buy and return stuff and at max pay 9 percent over cost.

Excellent wine and liquor. Kirkland store brands very good too.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spot on Mike.

I use their CC and get cash back. Their meat is excellent and they are the largest retailer of wine in the world.

What’s not to like about them.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
can u get hootch delivered to ur door in texas? i'm fond of bullett whiskey but have to drive 45 minutes each way to get it by the jug.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would'nt be at all surprised as HEB has now started their "curbside service" where you place your grocery order online the go pick it up + never leave your car.From that I would say that a TYD service is just a short step.With liquor it might take a little longer but I can see it coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Order the whiskey online and UPS will deliver it to your door. I just ordered some tequila liqueur (Agavero)that I can’t find locally.

Cheers

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alcohol to door! Just another reason why Texas is awesome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heading home tonight with a bottle of Redbreast Lustuau which is 12 year aged in sherry cast.

Found it at Wine and More in Lexington. Thank you all.

Does anyone want a tasting review?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Of course, please review. Taste is of course and individual thing and for me...

Scotch = Johnnie Walker Blue

Irish - Bushmills

Beer = Modelo Negra

Wine = Tobin James Petit Sirah

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnnie Walker Blue? I am familiar with Black + Red but never heard of blue.I prefer Laphoig (sp) or Famous Grouse.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I only go thru a bottle of Blue about every two years as I only drink Scotch and Blue on special occasions and then usually just one as part of a toast then sipping after words

From "best to worst" in the regular production line are:

1 Blue
2 Platinum (sometimes referred to as Aged 18)
3 Gold
4 Green
5 Double Black
6 Black
7 Red

There are also another handful of limited edition runs like King George V (~$600/bottle) to The John Walker (~$4,000/bottle)

I did a project for Diageo (the parent company) in ~2000 where I learned about them.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will agree on the Red.Bottom of the totem pole.I have'nt cruised the JW isle in years so Am unfamiliar with all the others.I also agree that the 1st drink be of the quality stuff. After that you can switch to the least expensive as your taste buds have now been compromised;but your 1st taste was pure quality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,don't know if you have "Twin Liquors" stores where you are but they are everywhere here in Texas.They do a substantial cut in prices on Scotch on Robert Burns birthday.FWIW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay gentleman and other readers here is my attempt at a tasting review. If the majority finds fault, I will submit my tongue to Mike Dettore to be whacked with his ball pin hammer.

Background information on RedBreast:

There is n longer research of aging house,deep throat interviews, and this information was not gathered by or obtained from Russians. This information is readily available on YouTube or the RedBreast website.

RedBreast was started by a gentleman named W A Gilbey who by 1887 was buying distilant from the John Jamison distillery. This bottle was aged up to 6 years old. Gilbey’s enterprising wa holding over 700,000 gallons of John Jamison and Son whiskey when the century turned over. Gilbey was also importing sherry.

Apparently, Gilbey first marketed “RedBreast” in 1933 aging Jamison distilling in once used sherry cask.

Irish Distillers Limited, in a market consolidation or state assertion I am not sure how or why, came to controll wiskey production in Ireland buying out most apparently, nearly 100 percent of distillers in Ireland. Gilbey managed to negotiate distilliant for RedBrest unto 1971 when the Jamison Bow Street Distillery was closed.

Gilbey sold the last of its aged stock in 1985. The name RedBreast was sold to Irish Distillers Limited in 1986. Irish Distillers Limited relaunched RedBreast in 1991 being distilled then and now at the Midelton Distillery, where Jamison is now produced.

The bottle we are drinking: RedBreast Lustau is a bottle whose contains are aged 9 to 12 years in traditional bourbon and sherry cask. The distilliant is finished for one year in hand selected sherry butts from Bodega Lustau.

Nose: The nose on this pour is really unique to my experience with Irish Whiskey. There presents notes of fruit most prominent to me is plum and toffee. It has a shuttle port essence to me. Port being my favorite alcohol. There is not “harsh” or strong alcohol aroma that smacks the olfactory like a minimal aged Tellamore Dew, Jamison, or Bushmill.

Tasting: Surprising, but not upsetting, those wonderful red fruit notes are not present. Let no man be fooled there is no mistaking this taste as an Irish Whiskey. There is no harsh start of alcohol on the first nip. It presented to the lips cooling even though it was poured at room temperature. Then comes that Irish Whiskey taste, again not a harsh alcohol, just that light Irish spice that remains me of chewing green hay stalks. It finshes with a hint of honey and very buttery that does not linger.

Water: I added two drops of water just to see what would happen. The result was nothing. All that did was turn off the taste and kill it.

Comparisons: I keep green bottle Jamison at hand, my friend brought the minimal aged Telamore Dew, and Cask Mate Jamison which is finished in Geniuses barrels used for stout.

1) Jamison Caskmates: This to my eye is noticeably darker, still light, but darker, that RedBreast or others listed. The only difference to my tongue from Green Bottle Jamison is a roast taste on the finish that lingers. This is not bad, just not what I want in an Irish.

2) Green Bottle Jamison. The table wine of Irish Whiskey. It is lighter in the glass than our RedBreast. I miss the subtle but present plum, port nose. The Green Bottle Jamison looses that buttery finish. It is replaced with a longer “Irish” tasting note that I equate to chewing green hay. This Jamison can exist with one small ice cube.

3) Bushmill, I call it the Yellow and White Bottle. In honesty, I love this Whiskey more than Green Bottle Jamison. They are both minimum aged Irish, but Bushmill is just a touch softer. Compared to the RedBreast the buttery finish is gone. The nose is less complex.

A note on comparisons: I know the above is a comparison of entry level bottles to a premium product. That is on purpose. The task was to determine whether the premium product RedBreast at $64.00 dollars including tax was worth the expense over a $30.00 dollar product.

Conclusion: Task has been succeeded. The nose, hint of honey, and buttery finish add a pleasant elevation to the Irish experience. There is no bitterness from the cask. The age knocks off the raw alcohol front taste. Those interested, I got an email that something “special”is being launched on May 18, 2019. I look forward to trying the other expressions of this label; namely, 12 year (standard bottle) and 15 year.

I leave you with two toast:

Here is to fighting, drinking, and stealing. When you fight may you fight for a friend. When you steal may you steal a lover’s heart. When you drink may you drin with me.

Here is to us, those like us, damn few, and most are dead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will certainly agree with the last statement + bless you for the toast.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
JW Blue is fine, but not cheap. I’ve enjoyed John Barr. It’s like JW Black, but 2/3 the cost.

Texas did approve delivery not long ago, but most laws take effect on September 1.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I like your review.

I used to drink Tyrconnell Irish whiskey quite a bit when I was young (and it was $21 a bottle).
I liked it a lot, and apparently, so did many others as the prices have steadily increased over the years in comparison to other whiskeys.
I've read that Tyrconnell (or The Tyrconnell) was the most popular Irish whiskey pre-prohibition in the US.
Now, Jameson is the "table Irish" in the house but I wholeheartedly agree that Costco has been the savior of the pocketbook when wholesale drinking is concerned!
I haven't been disappointed in any of their Kirkland branded spirits (cost factored in) and some of them really impress.
The French vodka ($20 for 1.75L) is great and in taste tests often beats premiums such as Grey Goose! Many believe that they come from the same distillers and I wouldn't doubt that.
Costco had a 20yr single malt scotch a few years ago that was an excellent buy. Turned out that it was bottled by Macallen.
Their London Dry Gin is great too.
Usually I drink Maker's Mark since that is what my wife prefers.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not whiskey but Irish in nature. Donald O'Conner was on the Johnny Carson show + Carson asks him "Why,when you ask an Irishman a question,he answers with another question?" O'Connor replies "Do they now?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just not a fan of Johnnie Walker. It is pricey for a blended Scotch. There are a lot of single malts in 12-20 for less than Johnnie Walker high ends.

Blended Scotch my favorite is Monkey Shoulder. Slight smoke/peat. Less than 30 dollars.

In Lexington today, and picked up another bottle of RedBreast. This is the standard Red 12 year. I will open it on the 4th of July for my passed loved ones. As it is my father’s birthday (died2008) and my mom died last year on the 2nd her birthday is the 7th of July. And always for my brother.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to do a consulting project for Diageo the parent company of Johnnie Walker. They also own or did own at the time 12 single malts including Caol Ila, Talisker, Lagavulin, Oban

They said the whole mystique or favorable image single malt scotch is probably the most successful non-substantive marketing campaign in alcoholic beverage history. In their words, "the whole mystique around single malt is a manufactured perception regarding purity and superiority" by the Scotch industry. They repeatedly advised that is all about taste and that many single malts taste bad to many people.

They even drew the analogy that "estate bottled" wines are no better or worse necessarily than any other wine.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, do not get me wrong. If you like Johnnie Walker that is fine by me. I was not trying to be the Whiskey police, if it sounded that way.

I was speaking for my own taste. If anybody ever gifts me any I will pass it long to you.

I would rather drink Glenfiiddich 12 and 15 (about all the single malts I like)and still be under the Johnnie Walker higher ends. They are single malts, but not like drinking a burnt log.

My observation was simply one of price in relation to market value not one of taste.

Daigeo caused a bit of bad taste here in KY with Bulliet and Bow and Balde. Folks can like Bulliet. The issue was not the product. However, that whole campaign was bush league. I feel the same about Bow and Blade.

Daigeo at least is making bourbon in Ky finally. After marketing Bulliet as a Ky product for years.

Comming full circle if you come to my house, I will have Monkey Shoulder blend of 3 distilleries for Scotch, but I much prefer Irish Whiskey. The premium bottles will be both bottleings of RedBreast noted here, Weller 12, and Van Winkle 12 Lot B post 2007.

One day I may break down and for the years full indulgence get a barrel of pre 2007 Pappy.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Joshua,

Oh I agree to each his own. What I was pointing out was how interesting it was for Diageo to privately confide that the whole single malt mystique was simply a marketing fabrication.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to add a new rule. Burnt log note adds 75.00 dollars to the bottle.

I had a single malt I liked very much in Dallas. But can’t remember the name. It was soft, but a lot of smoke, briney, and grassy. But not burnt tasting. I have no idea what label it was. It had no alcohol taste.

I admit, the smoke made me cough, but I did like it. Glennfiddich does not do this. Much less smoke.

I wanted to mention this experience, before a single malt fan got mad.

I fully support the rule, “The best Whiskey is the Whiskey you like to drink.”

A few times I have modified the rule, “The best Whiskey is the Whiskey you are buying that I am drinking.”

I am speaking only for myself in this post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My step grandfather emigrated here from Scotland when he was 13 years old,alone.He built a successful life here + prospered. Before he passed in the 70's he told me that he had gone back to Scotland to visit old relatives + on the way bought a bottle of scotch whiskey.When he offered the bottle to this one relative for a taste,as James said in his own words."He bloody well filled a tankard,if you please!" He was a spitting image to an aged Sean Connery. His story about getting his money out of the banks before the market crash in 29 was great. He was doing traveling sales + a customer gave him an inside tip that on Monday the banks would fold.He managed to get through to his wife by Western Union + told her "Alice,you be down at the bank @ 8:00 + get ALL our money out."She was there on time + got their money + the bank shut it's doors at 8:15.A lot to be learned by stories of the last generation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whisky is for sipping, whiskey is for gulping.

Starting to look like we'll be doing another photo safari in October. I'd better get used to Bell's.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most Bourbons and all Irish is spelled with an E.

Makers and one other Bourbon drop E. All others including the $$$ spell it with an E.

I picked up a bottle of Powers Gold label now made by Jamison. Good table whiskey, and a little cheaper than Green Bottle Jamison.

This Total Wine Place is awesome. Probably a good thing the closest is 2 hours away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point was most likely you'll be sipping those that taste like a burnt log. A great description by the way. Buninhabben, Laphroig etc. All very peaty Scotch whisky's.
At least I do. The first time I drank Lagavulin, I took a sip, we went to the movies and I finished it when we came home. I swear it was on my tongue the whole time.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh! I am hunting. I try to only sip and neat everything maybe a small ice cube on a hot day. But I drink faster than most.

I do like a good Manhattan.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
in general, i open up all my scotch and irish sprits with water
these days distilled, since i am stuck in the city, when on the farm--spring water

was the scotch you had in dallas perhaps--a Aberlour