WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who printed the map? Where can I acquire one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have watched my DVD of "King Solomon's Mines" (1950) several times the past couple of weeks. There is a map of Africa in the British administrator's office that fascinates me. The start date identified in the movie is superimposed just after the opening credits as 1897. The map is clearly a "period" map. I would like an opportunity to acquire such a map — showing east southern Africa in its splendid unknown glory. Names, places, and unknowns add verisimilitude to render a slightly above average adventure movie into a good one.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I don't know the movie but you made me look for maps. ebay has a good searh tool

https://www.ebay.com/b/Antique...ge/98448/bn_89873751

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You realize of course that movies often make these things to suit the plot they're selling ? Smiler

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
NO?!!! Does Hollywood lie?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will help, bet here's a link:

https://argusprints.ecrater.com/c/971744/world

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had a world map that I gave to my Vet whose ambiance in his clinic is pre WW2. Wooden soda cases, metal signs, too much to list + he says someday it will go to a local museum so I felt O.K. about donating this map. As I said, it is a world map made in 1929 that shops all the nations as they were then named, etc. as well as cameo photos of all the world leaders at that time surrounding the flattened globe. I got it in a house we were in when deer hunting in Castell, Tx. It had a calendar on the other side so this map (about 2'X 3') was facing the wall so there was no UV damage. No one had been in the house since 1929. I enjoyed looking at the old newspapers that had lined the kitchen drawers as well. I think I enjoyed all the history that old house had to offer more than the deer hunting.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If you get a 1st edition of the book, it has a copy of the Treasure Map inside (you know, the one drawn in human blood).

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote