New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laminated wood stocks on infantry rifles in World War II
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I understand that German 98k rifles were manufactured with laminated beech stocks because there was an insufficient amount of "conventional" wood available, not because the laminated wood offered significantly superior stability. Why did not American and British rifles use a comparable laminated wood stock? I would think that any laminated wood would offer comparable stability.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most likely because they did not have too. Adequate quantity of suitable wood was available. As for the superiority of the laminated stock the plain wood stock was perfectly adequate for an infantry weapon that was expected to be "used up" so why go to the trouble of making the laminate stock?

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't see many birch stocks outside the USSR either. Wink Suitability, supply and cost dictate what is used. Interestingly, the Soviets went to laminated stocks on some SKS rifles.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jerry.Later on in the game the Germans were working with limited resources.When I had my FFL in the 80's under Reagan when the USSR collapsed I was buying from Soviet sources,crates of 98 Mausers still in the cosmoline from the soviets stockpile.They had what looked like full oak stocks along with a leather action sleeve + bayonet. I was paying $150.00 each.Those were the days my friend,we thought they'd never end.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Kar98k and the G43 had laminated beech stocks from late 1941 (mixed at first) through 1945, but some 98ks have solid walnut in 1945 too. Yes, they are much stronger than walnut and they were used because solid wood was in short supply. Why didn't the US make them? Two reasons; we have an unlimited supply of solid wood, both walnut and birch were allowed per the drawings, and, laminated stocks are more expensive, and are quite a bit heavier. We could produce more stocks than we could break, like all of the resources we used, loaned, and sold, with which we and our allies used to win WW2. Men, and Materiel of all types; that was the big mistake both Japan and Germany made; way underestimated our industrial capability and the willingness to make and spend whatever it took.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed;makes me wonder how many today would stand up + tow the line.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And it was part of the winter rifles also with the laminate stock they used. Czech Vz 24 k98 modewinter trigger guard used laminate stocks almost exclusively.

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's because you don't need a four foot long piece of walnut (or alternative woods)...that's why! You can use shorter lengths and glue them to make a longer length.

The Germans had plenty of wood..that sure as many a poor GI found in the Hurtgen Forest. Just not seasoned walnut (or alternative woods) in four foot lengths.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote