WALTER'S OWN

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Walter's Own General Discussions    Current infantry helmets compared with US Army helmet of World War II

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current infantry helmets compared with US Army helmet of World War II
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When I was in the army, we wore the steel helmet designed in World War II. One enormous advantage was the the steel pot held water. We could boil water, use it as a sink for washing. It also might deflect shrapnel and bullets misdirected toward the wearer.

Does any currently used helmet by and NATO or Russian armed forces have this useful feature?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
plastic canteens also !
I have a WWII stainless steel canteen that I'd like to get more info about it. Made by Volrath for jungle use I was told .
Another stainless steel item is a WWII cooking pot - Latvian army surplus .Any info ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old steel pot is not as effective as a modern helmet for stopping bullets but it could do so much more. I've used it to dig holes, take a bath, shave, make popcorn, used with a candle to help heat the pup tent, filled it full of apples from orchards by the road. During the Bulge it was used by one GI to carry beer from the local brewery (they even now have a brand called Helmet Bier). I'm sure there are many other uses for the old pot but those are the ones I remember.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Pull up that story online about Helmet Beir.Great story.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The old steel pot could be used as very effective weapon.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
They were heavy, uncomfortable and unbalanced. They would bounce around and try to fall off when jogging, and at a full run - as when under fire - were absolutely impossible to keep on.

Good riddance.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I never had the honor of serving (ROTC doesn't count), but when a lad playing army I had a GI helmet and boy I remember that thing bouncing up and down on my little kid noggin when I ran.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adjust the helmet liner correctly, tighten the chin strap and it works fine. FWIW, when I was running, I usually had other things on my mind besides whether my helmet was bouncing or not.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Worn both types for many years; no the Kevlar helmets do not hold anything as there is no liner to remove. They are made from very thick Kevlar cloth molded in the shape of the helmet, with the ear protectors like the German helmet. Far superior to the steel M1 helmet.
Your canteen is stainless steel and they all were. Can you imagine one made from carbon steel? Wouldn't last long in the field and the water would taste like rust.
Now, yes they are plastic and the water tastes like plastic. I suppose the Infantry uses them; Tankers keep Perrier in the ice chest in the bustle rack.
Tank troops do not run for any reason, other than run to the club, so I have no experience with that. Running is for the Infantry.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tankers keep Perrier in the ice chest in the bustle rack.
Tank troops do not run for any reason, other than run to the club, so I have no experience with that. Running is for the Infantry.

Had to chuckle. That's what is called rubbing in salt.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote