Notify
Tools

Tips for new pipe smoker
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
besides throw it away Smiler

Decided I would give the pipe a try, bought a decent pipe, got a few different tobaccos to try, read a few things here and there about packing, lighting, cleaning etc., All is well and good except I cannot keep the bottom layer of tobacco in the bowl from getting wet. Don't think it is the tobacco I feel that it is probably technique just not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any tips appreciated.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 868 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
besides throw it away Smiler

Decided I would give the pipe a try, bought a decent pipe, got a few different tobaccos to try, read a few things here and there about packing, lighting, cleaning etc., All is well and good except I cannot keep the bottom layer of tobacco in the bowl from getting wet. Don't think it is the tobacco I feel that it is probably technique just not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any tips appreciated.

Try packing it a little firmer at the bottom.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as an old former pipe puffer - don't worry about it the stuff at the bottom acts as a filter to keep ash from getting sucked up. also after running around with a pipe stuck in you face for a few years, remember to check & make sure you have tobacco in the bowl before you stuff the butane lighter into it. i think I've still got black spots on my tongue 30 years latter Wink

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote