Find
Notify
Tools

A big order for Tesla!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'd love to rent one just to get some first-hand EV experience. Can't wait for the electric trucks to start hitting the market.

https://www.reuters.com/busine...erg-news-2021-10-25/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
They are opening a new mfg. plant in Austin. My son has already placed his order + is #160 on the list when the new ones come off the line. I'm interested to see how they perform as well. He claims it will get about 300 miles on a charge. Since almost all his driving is in Austin, + coming out to see me is only about 60 miles roundtrip, it should suit him fine. Funny thing he told me. It seems that there is such a demand that some folks are selling their tickets in line starting at $2500.00.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
No interest here in an electric car or truck. Glad that someone is getting a job though.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
No interest here in an electric car or truck. Glad that someone is getting a job though.

Those kids in Africa are going to get a lot of over time mining the essential metals. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! the libs are getting a new feel good car at the expense of 3rd world child labor mine work. Well, I must say, that there is not much new under the sun. Try this on (just for entertainment purposes) when next you encounter your liberal, new age friends, start a discussion about the current ore material mining by kids today Versus the EVIL British Empire that exploited the workers of India, Africa, China, etc. Hey, it did happen, but the Brits didn't deny it. So who is more at fault, morally? One who freely admits raping a country for profit or one that justs looks the other way + pretends it's not happening, as long as they get their "feel good" car.?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I would not venture to say that the market for electric cars will take over and surpass those that require gasoline. the demand is too high for gasoline engines. They have too much of a lobbyist community.

Posts: 592 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I totally agree with you, but just keep in mind that once upon a time everyone KNEW that the automobile would never replace the horse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along the same line, my son bought a ticket in line for the new Tesla PU trucks coming out who knows when. But they will be built in Austin. He was # 160 in line + the word was that the demand was so great by the public (sheep) that the tickets in line were being sold starting at $2500.00. Go figure. Once again in my caustic 'old man' grump, What in the hell are you gonna do about it when you are stalled in rush hour traffic? Go to the corner for a can of electricity?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, you mean sitting in traffic on a 100 degree day with the AC blasting? Better make it 2 cans of electricity :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon, we have been having triple-digit temps for the last 3 months with no rain + none in sight; I don't even want to get into the issue about all the building going on with no thoughts about water. The local politicians (hell, ALL) can't see beyond the next election.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Along the same line, my son bought a ticket in line for the new Tesla PU trucks coming out who knows when. But they will be built in Austin. He was # 160 in line + the word was that the demand was so great by the public (sheep) that the tickets in line were being sold starting at $2500.00. Go figure. Once again in my caustic 'old man' grump, What in the hell are you gonna do about it when you are stalled in rush hour traffic? Go to the corner for a can of electricity?

A friend’s father has two tickets sold by Pan Am Airlines to the moon.
He may go on that ride before the Tesla truck is delivered.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No thanks! Unlike our liberal Democrat friends, I actually do care about the environment as well as child labor.

Electric cars are neither the answer or something I want. I'm rather impatient and filling up a 30 gallon tank is annoying enough. Waiting to charge my phone is annoying as hell. Can't imagine waiting to charge my car.

And what a crime magnet. Every thug in the world will gravitate to the charging stations. I'd want something better than an AR to visit one.

By the way, despite all the press, AR's are underpowered as a combat weapon and the military has realized that.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a daughter and a nephew with all electric cars. Neither has ever used a charging station. At this point only a fool would consider buying electric to travel, it's a commuter's dream. My nephew has a 60 mile daily commute, and told me the other day that at right near zero degrees it takes 1/4 of his battery charge. Chevy Bolt. His electric bill is up an average of only 40 dollars per month. My daughter has similar claims. It is the future, get used to it.

Posts: 15806 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk was brilliant in selling tickets/places in line for the Tesla truck. He basically got a $100 million loan interest free for a vehicle that may not be produced.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Elon Musk was brilliant in selling tickets/places in line for the Tesla truck. He basically got a $100 million loan interest free for a vehicle that may not be produced.

https://globalnews.ca/news/951...ty-expansion-nevada/

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
F 150 E truck voted truck of the year and could't go 100 miles towing 5000 lbs. A joke....all of it.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A gallon of gas carries 44 million joules in eight pounds and you get seven gallons in a cubic foot.
It may be awhile before electric is one-for-one with internal combustion but it has its place.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am amazed at the shortsightedness here.

The one great advantage the electric pickup has over other electric vehicles is the cargo space to carry your gasoline powered generator with you.

As in "Who needs a charging station, I have mine with me!"

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youp50:

The one great advantage the electric pickup has over other electric vehicles is the cargo space to carry your gasoline powered generator with you.

animal

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youp50:

The first version of the Workhorse electric cargo van had a gas motor and generator right up front.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know---my taxes are paying for the FREE charging stations that the pols are putting n. And who is paying their share of the road use tax added to gas sales?

Sounds good at first glance (elec. vehicles) but who is NOT getting a good deal?

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote