New
Find
Notify
Tools

Validity of "Power Index Rating?"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In Handloader's Digest: Tenth Edition is an article by Ed Matunas, "Loading for maximum PIR" (Power Index Rating) - this being a formula whose calculation is claimed to be an accurate method to identify defensive capability of handgun ammunition. My rule of thumb for my own evaluation is: There's no substitute for cubic inches. I have zero experience with actual need to test my own evaluation, nor have I previously paid any attention to any calculation similar to what PIR claims to do.

Those who have tested such formulae in the real world - I expect there to be very few in this forum - are such things accurate representations of bullet-ammunition "stopping power?"

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I won't help you much, but attempting to quantify the unquantifiable has been the life's work of scientists and engineers for centuries.
While, as an engineer, I respect the objective value of the PIR, I believe the real world presents too many variables to provide anything more than a "starting point" for decision-making.
The idea that you should make the largest hole you can works for me.

Regardless of its efficacy,I'd love to read the article just for its insight.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been a few studies/reports (google is your friend) but getting a statistically valid sample is a tricky thing when it comes to shooting people. Sometimes the mouse guns work but generally bigger is better. But you knew that already.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try the Sanow & Edwards finding on Cops VS Perps shootings...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote