WALTER'S OWN

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Walter's Own General Discussions    "Think back, Pilgrim . . ." to the long ago "Larry King Live" radio broadcasts

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Think back, Pilgrim . . ." to the long ago "Larry King Live" radio broadcasts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, I appreciate the way the screenplay of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" transformed a short story with no flesh to a magnificent motion picture allegory. My query, of course, has nothing to do with story, screenplay, or movie. Rather, it's all about a song that has stuck in my mind for a generation.

Think back to the Larry King show. There was a recurring lead-in to it that was a song?? from some stage or screen version of Alice in Wonderland that began something like . . .

I'm late. I'm late. For a very important date. No time to say hello goodby. I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.

- Please identify the song and what play, musical comedy, or movie in which it occurs.

- Can anyone furnish an mp3 of the complete song, or a link to it on youtube?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I never watched Larry King but those lines came from the Disney version originally; who used it afterward is anyone guess. But since Disney is very good at copywriting that possible infringement should be able to be discovered.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I was going to get to talk about The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Posts: 10555 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can. It was a great movie. I've seen it several times , the 1st being in Amsterdam in 1962.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was the only John Ford Western that was shot on a Hollywood back lot. The studio, Paramount.

The film was shot in black and white. Ford said he preferred black and white. Other critics have presented that it was a choice by Ford to so a more gritty West compared to his myth making color films. Others have suggested it was to hide the age of Duke and Stewart.I do not buy any in the least. There is nothing more Gritty than The Searchers once you know what you are watching. Duke and Stewart would continue to make profitable films in color with young/attractive love interest.

The fact the film was shot on Paramount’s sound stage and the cinematographer also said, “There is one reason and one reason only...Paramount cutting cost.” His quote concludes that if not for that Monument Valley or Bracketvalley would have been the location. The cenimatographer was William Clothier.

The studio insisted Duke be cast as Doniphon. Ford hated this mandate and took it out on Duke on set. The most famous quote was, “How rich did you (Duke) get while Jimmy was risking his life.” Jimmy Stewart had been a bomber pilot and achieved the rank of brigadier general. Duke always seemed to get the brunt of Ford’s nastiness when they shot together except on Three God Fathers where Ford’s wrath was directed at Harry Carrey Jr.

Strode whimpalyed Pompi had been a pro football player, and Ford in mean spiritedness would compare Duke to Strode. Duke was fighting to keep control of a horse. Stride came to help and Duke knocked him away and tried to fight Strode. Later Duke told Strode we have to work together and be professional. Stride contributed Duke’s demeanor on set to the harassment of Ford. store blamed Ford for the friction on set.

Finally, Ford made Stewart fell like crawling into a “mouse hole.”

Duke told Stewart, “Welcome to the club.”

Stewart got top billing on promotional material, but Dule’s an,e appears first in the films credits. This was done at the request of Paramount at Ford’s requests. Ford reported that Doniphon is the central character of the Film.

I think the Doniphon home sense was shot at Wildwood Park. That scene does feel outdoors.

Released in 1962 with a 3.2 million dollar price tag. The film made grossed $8 million. The most critical observation of the film was that it lasted about 20 minutes too long. The final act being unnecessary or a let down. The film was considered a critical success when released.

The film was only nominated for one Oscar being best costume design Black and White, Edith Head. Duke won a Golden Laurel for Best Action Performance.

Someone really needs to do a book as to why Duke and Ford films did so poorly at The Oscars. Ford only won best director for The Quite Man when teamed with Duke. Duke never won best actor for a Ford film. He was not even nominated for The Quite Man, but Ford won Best Director and was nominated for Best Picture.

I think The Searchers wa ignored by the Oscars because it was technically an Independent Film released through WB. The Oscars was created as an instrument of the major studios.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was selected by The National Film Preservation Board in 2007.

I have never read the short story. That is all I know without getting into my books.

My favorite scene from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is the restaurant scene where Valance knocks over Stoddard. The gang mostly that guy who is in a lot of Duke Wayne films, the-little short one, is doing most of the ridiculing. Duke stands up,”That was my steak Liberty. Pick it up.” The little flunky goes to pick it up. Duke puts the toe of his boat into the flunky’s eye, “No, Liberty. I said you pick it up.” Stoddard picks up the steak finding the whole show distasteful by both men. Liberty starts to turn to walkout. He spins to El Presidenta Duke. Duke is waiting and closes the distance. “Draw! Please, draw.” Liberty who no longer has the advantage backs down.

Second favorite scene is when Stoddard opens the casket he sees Doniphon without his gun, the gun for all Stoddard knows was the gun that made him. Stoddard angrily directs Pompi to get his (Doniphon’s) gun. Pompi tells him Doniphon stopped carrying a gun.

Posts: 10555 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The blood in B+W always looks more intense also; like after Liberty beats up Edmond O'Brien in his newspaper office. Vera Miles didn't age well. IMO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your favorite scene?

Blood is why Raging Bull wa shot in BandW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I have imitated many times over the years is where Tom Donophin is standing in the Duke's legendary pose of kinda leaning with his hand above his Colt + says, "That's my beef steak Valance. You pick it up." And then the humor when Lee Marvin after saying, "And this one, right between the eyes." + takes an hour + a half to die. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Love that movie, a favorite.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
The one I have imitated many times over the years is where Tom Donophin is standing in the Duke's legendary pose of kinda leaning with his hand above his Colt + says, "That's my beef steak Valance. You pick it up." And then the humor when Lee Marvin after saying, "And this one, right between the eyes." + takes an hour + a half to die. Big Grin

Speaking of Lee Marvin, ever watch Pocket Money?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's another actor that I really liked + miss. I still love "The Dirty Dozen".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I think Donovan’s Reef is my favorite Lee Marvin role. I love his character playing off on Duke.

I would love to remake that movie with my Brother playing Lee Marvin’s role and myself as Duke. The train would be replaced with a Xbox for my brother at the end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA! Times do change, don't they?