Find
Notify
Tools

$19 a Month
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
It’s a stupid question as I could ask my CPA or tax lawyer, but why do these “charities” want $19 a month?

I’m speaking of HSUS/ASPCA (never, ever will they see a dollar from me. Local SPCA does good things), Wounded Warrior Foundation (I’ve heard too much bad stuff, but would like to help), St. Jude’s (one that seems to be good as they provide free care to kids with cancer), and a few others.

I suppose Larry Shores or Beretta682 could answer why it’s a $19 per month request, but I’m curious. Anyone else have an idea?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I never give a penny to the Red Cross. They are a scam operation. Sally Ann is not. $19.00 sounds like less than $20.00. But on the side how that old business of stores selling items for $19.95 etc. was started in the '30s where the dept. stores had several cash registers on the floor + the sales staff waited on you individually. By making the price an odd number, the clerk was forced to open the register to make change; then he was (to use current vernacular) logged in. Otherwise, if an item was priced at $20.00 it was way too east for that $20.00 to go into a pocket.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We could most likely start another forum just on the Red Cross misadventures. I have several tales myself. The 1st was when my college roomy whose Dad was at Normandy beach; after the landing, the red cross tents had set up to "help" the troops. 'Coffee + doughnuts, only a quarter'. I have a lot more stories but that starter basically says it all.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad, an M.D. with the Marines in the south pacific in WWII, hated the Red Cross.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More recently, we had a tornado touch down in Jarrell, Tx. just a bit north of here. During the salvage time, the red cross would only show up if there was a camera crew. The Sally Ann was there all the time, really giving help. Another interesting item here; when we were out giving what aid we could a van pulls up from Pennsylvania + a van load of Amish came out. They were carpenters + came to help. They would accept no money, just food + a place to stay. These guys were the framers. When they were through they would go back home + the trim carpenters would come down. Yes, they did have electric saws but they were owned by the community. The way they worked this was that while they were down here their neighbors took care of their farm + when they went back they would do the same for the others. I have GREAT respect for those people.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, that's a wonderful story about the Amish volunteers. God bless them -- and the Salvation Army. The Red Cross not so much.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My stepdaughter is an M.D. that spent all her off time in Africa or Haiti, basically trying to help people for free. She just got back from a stint in Thailand (no charge) + is now working in Harlem to try to see what she can do to curtail the Aids problem. Helluva a place for a petite blonde white girl but she is firm in her convictions on truly helping people. Oh + the point here is that she has no use for the Red Cross either, + she sees it 1st hand.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That’s quite a story and an amazing soul.

I remember the Jarrell tornado. It tore up the Home Depot and other businesses that were the main economy there.

I did some work after a tornado hit Waxahachie and Lancaster south of dallas while I was a senior in HS. The coffee and grub provided by Red Cross was appreciated, but this was 25 years ago.

There was an opportunity to help during Harvey, but I couldn’t get out of my court schedule (damnit). I did see a show on the Cajun Navy who did so much to help. I suggest y’all check it out. Good cats.

As of September 1, the legislature will ease the carrying of handguns during declared state or national emergencies. Obviously, this is to thwart the looting that accompanies such tragedies.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you can feed a starving kid in Africa for half the cost of feeding a dog here in America.

any extra cash I have goes to St. Judes period.
they have never helped anyone I know personally, but they do help for real.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
St. Judes is a good organization as well. Danny Thomas started that one off after his own personal tragedy just like Jerry Lewis's son's illness caused him to start the telethon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
I'm still trying to figure out how you can feed a starving kid in Africa for half the cost of feeding a dog here in America.

any extra cash I have goes to St. Judes period.
they have never helped anyone I know personally, but they do help for real.

That's cause you're paying way too much for dog food. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard it said that the FDA spends more time + energy on dod food than people food. Not much that my government does surprise me anymore.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
St. Judes is a good organization as well. Danny Thomas started that one off after his own personal tragedy just like Jerry Lewis's son's illness caused him to start the telethon.

That is actually not correct. Jerry Lewis started doing bits for MDA in the early 50's. Then became their national chairman in 1956. He said once in an interview that he started doing it because they (MDA) came to him and asked him for help.

Jerry Lewis's son died in 2009 from a drug overdose.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not know that. That had always been the believed rumor. It seems that the kids of the stars seem to get into drugs quite easily. Michael Doulas's son is doing hard time for drug sales. Must be hard on Kirk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe last year the head of the Red Cross received something like 1.2 million USD in compensation.

Totally insane.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That about says it all right there. Kinda, sorta along the same lines why we don't have the same health care pkg. as congress. Another subject but still a pisser.

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
We could most likely start another forum just on the Red Cross misadventures. I have several tales myself. The 1st was when my college roomy whose Dad was at Normandy beach; after the landing, the red cross tents had set up to "help" the troops. 'Coffee + doughnuts, only a quarter'. I have a lot more stories but that starter basically says it all.

I heard a similar story years ago from an older employee who had served under Patton. One quarter for a donut in Europe . He said they were getting charged a quarter for donuts at small towns after days of fighting Germans.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right, as the story goes Conrad's dad said to the Red Cross bitch, "Right, does it look like I have a pocket full of change ##X%&^**!"

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I refuse to pay to ANY organized so called "charity"!

I do help people I know personally who need help.

100% from one side to 100% to the other.

No middlman to take most of it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Along those same lines since I am a local business I get calls to support local High School programs. My 1st question is are the callers PTA Mothers or some organization that makes the calls + gets up to 80% of the money. If they are concerned parents putting in their own time, no problem but I WILL NOT support an ad agency.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree. Along those same lines since I am a local business I get calls to support local High School programs. My 1st question is are the callers PTA Mothers or some organization that makes the calls + gets up to 80% of the money. If they are concerned parents putting in their own time, no problem but I WILL NOT support an ad agency.

My wife does a lot of functions for schools, we pay for them, and the schools get 100% with no one getting paid in between.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That, I would willingly support.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
While watching “Lone Star Law” (it’s about Texas game wardens), I saw a commercial for ASPCA asking for money.

I’m very happy we give money to DSC and proper organizations.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of these guys - Black Dagger Military Hunt Club

I know they hosted a hunt for my buddy, Joel, and he had a blast.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
At the risk of staying on topic, let me say this...
It enables the charity to more safely avoid the added cost of supplying receipts to contributors giving $250 or more per year. The IRS allows up to $250 to be claimed and deducted without the filer supplying a receipt with the return, but any more than that requires a receipt. Monthly contributions of $20 dollars ($240 annually) come close to that limit and crossing it would require the charity to incur additional costs in supplying receipts. The charmed price of a 'mere' and 'affordable' nineteen dollars a month comes to $228 a year, comfortably under $250 and the attached onerous requirement.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote