New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am Looking To Find Really Good Old Kosher Dill Pickles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can recall seeing pickles in barrels. They were outrageously good.
Alas, those days seem to be gone because the only pickles I ever see now are in grocery store jars and none of them are Old Kosher Dills.
Are there still some of those old terrific pickles out there somewhere? If so, how about a few recommendations.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bob,you might check out Germandeli.com. I have bought a lot of German food from them. They ship right away in blue ice packed styrofoam coolers + I have yet to be displeased with them for any reason. Also a great site to just visit. I get my grandkids their advent calendars there every year,the real mccoy from Germany.They are located just outside of Dallas.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
I will be heading to Dallas next Saturday.
Ill check them out but their web site says all their pickles are out of stock.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nisbet:
Alas, those days seem to be gone because the only pickles I ever see now are in grocery store jars and none of them are Old Kosher Dills.
Are there still some of those old terrific pickles out there somewhere? If so, how about a few recommendations.

You might make a barrel at home. We did that once, my wife liked them (I'm more of a sweet pickle person).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I know they are not the same, but Clausen dill pickles aren't bad.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clausen does make a good pickle.Not bad sauerkraut either,but I like my mothers better.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nisbet:
Before MCTD precluded my eating pickles, I located a Brooklyn, New York, business whose Kosher pickle selection was as close to the pickles we used to get at the delicatessen when I was a child. Their pickles are not excessively salty as are, for instance, Claussen's. And they accept mail order and online orders. Here is their web site Ba-Tampte Pickles

Hope this solves your problem.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty happy with the basic Mount Olives, but I am not the enthusiast you gentlemen obviously are.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember as a kid,the little grocery store down the lane had a barrel of nickel pickles.That was where I would spend my nickel. I can still taste them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want good dill pickles there is but one thing to do. MAKE THEM YOURSELF. Canned 55 quarts of garlic/ dills this Summer, plus 6 dill pickled green tomatoes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best brand of kosher dills (with garlic) Old Milwaukee Brand, in most groceries.

Posts: 34 | Location: Mellen,Wi. USA | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ellis Prairie:
If you want good dill pickles there is but one thing to do. MAKE THEM YOURSELF. Canned 55 quarts of garlic/ dills this Summer, plus 6 dill pickled green tomatoes.

tu2

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,Germandeli.com has gone out of business. what a shame. They had superior product,great customer service,good prices,+fast shipping. Who knows?I need to find another souse of 'Mon Cheri' brandy filled chocolate cherries from Germany that my aged mother loves + Christmas is almost here.I'd take any suggestions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those cherries, I've seen them at Aldi's as a "seasonal item"

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with Aldi's. Do they have a web site?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,have you discovered the holy grail of pickles yet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Allen,I pulled them up on google + there is a store about 20 some miles from here.In Texas that's nothing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Thanks Allen,I pulled them up on google + there is a store about 20 some miles from here.In Texas that's nothing.

Aldi's is kinda weird, take your own bag and don't expect a lot of name brands, but their house brands tend to be good quality.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9541 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you found your grail.If not,I would be happy to send you a bottle from down here.