Find
Notify
Tools

Any LEO's Who Can Edjakate Me?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted
I'm 67 but believe one can never stop learning.

As a young tot and later in school, I learned that the man-made
surface in which everyone walked on was a FLOOR. If anyone
referred to a floor as "the ground", we would have been laughed
out of class.

But now, the police, news media, detective programs, etc.,
refer to floors as "the ground". "On the 7th story, we found a
body laying on the ground." Since when is a floor referred to
as terra firma? WHY? Seems ignorant as well as ridiculous to
me.

I guess what I would really like to find out is the origin of
such seemingly retarded terminology and why it was started??

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Retired after 33 year as LEO.

Beats me ground is ground floors are inside buildings or under a roof.

I don't watch TV. So it might be a TV thing.

Posts: 19332 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DannoBoone:
I'm 67 but believe one can never stop learning.

As a young tot and later in school, I learned that the man-made
surface in which everyone walked on was a FLOOR. If anyone
referred to a floor as "the ground", we would have been laughed
out of class.

But now, the police, news media, detective programs, etc.,
refer to floors as "the ground". "On the 7th story, we found a
body laying on the ground." Since when is a floor referred to
as terra firma? WHY? Seems ignorant as well as ridiculous to
me.

I guess what I would really like to find out is the origin of
such seemingly retarded terminology and why it was started??

The simplified answer to your question is; languages evolve over time.
Words like "cool" used to mean at a fairly low temperature and it still means that but now it also means things like calmness or composure. "he was very cool under pressure."

Synonyms make English one of the harder(st) languages to learn for non-English speaking people.

As for when ground started to be synonymous with floor, according to Mirriam-Websters online dictionary, around the 15th century.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I think you are making something out of nothing; i.e., a handful of people using imprecise terminology.

When I was writing a report, I would of course be precise...

I suspect when I was executing a search warrant, I probably yelled

"Sheriff's Department everybody on the ground now" regardless of whether I was inside or outside.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10047 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the message got through + no one stood up + regaled you for poor diction. Also,gay still means happy as far as I'm concerned.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Also, gay still means happy as far as I'm concerned.

Same here, but there will never be a time when I'm happy that I will declare,
"I'm gay."!!! My sister-in-law, Gaylene, used to accept the nick-name of "Gay".
After it was perverted, she demands that she be called Gaylene.

"Rainbow" has also been perverted. To Jews and us Christians, a rainbow is a sign
of God's covenant with man that He will never again destroy the earth with a
flood. I shudder to think how He views that perversion.

Now excuse me while I walk on the floor and go outside to walk on the ground. dancing

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
25 years LEO and I always called it the floor and ground was dirt or grass or whatever.

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the deck, MoFo !!!

Semper Fi

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Several years ago bruce Dern was driving down the blvd. in Hollywood shortly after the release of the John Wayne movie "The Cowboys". Cops pull him over,come out with a 12G. pump + tell him to roll out + hit the ground.The one with the shotgun says,please move you MF.I know I've seen you somewhere,most likely on a wanted poster. Bruce says,trying to be calm.have you been to the movies lately?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Like calling the ceiling the roof......

DRSS

Posts: 1899 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I think you are making something out of nothing; i.e., a handful of people using imprecise terminology.

When I was writing a report, I would of course be precise...

I suspect when I was executing a search warrant.

English is very flexible. A literal translation of the sentence
above might be that you are killing a search warrant.

As long as the meaning is clear then I don’t think it really matters.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
DannoBoone
I'ma thinkin it can just be chocked up to ignorance!

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Ignorance in the news media????? They're mostly "useful idiots." Be Well. Packy