WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 100 Rstaurants I Would Avoid At Any Cost!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Never been in any WORLD FAMOUS restaurant that I did not get disappointed with!

Give me a good old steak and I am a happy man!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The thing I keep in mind is no matter how much it costs and who cooked it, tomorrow it's a turd.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i ate at gordon ramseys once - once - went away with both stomach and wallet empty

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
yep, proud to say I've never eaten at any one of these. Not even 1 Barbeque restaurant on the list? What's up with that? These guys must be 'dining' not eating! Roll Eyes

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our favorite restaurant is the East Side in New Britain, CT. Even though it's on a side street in an old city it's still busy after 80 years!

I get the prime rib there. It's tender, rare and generous there. We have our table in the Hunters Lounge by the fire. We sing along with Walter the accordion man.

Turn up your sound and listen.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
When I was a chef I was lucky enough to stage at 3 of the restaurants that made the list, really great food. I will say that the this list/any Michelin star restaurant is biased in a number of ways. It favors French haute style of preparation and little that deviates from this. This is why the Europe is ill represented outside of France and the UK. The simple fact of the matter, is that there are literately thousands of restaurants that dont make the list and make some truly epic food. They also dont have a couple mil to dump into the dining room so they never 'make the list.'

That being said, these restaurants aren't for everyone or every occasion. I liken them to a D'Arcy Echols classic rifle. Echols makes damn fine rifles, the epitome in refinement in a bolt gun. However, one could argue if you are truly getting your money's worth or does the cost outweigh the advantages it serves. Same could be said for fine dining.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An excellent restaurant with a strong outdoor/hunting theme is the Dakota Restaurant Rocky Hill, CT.

It has game heads everywhere, even pictures of hunters with game and guns! Not only that but I have had the best prime rib ever there. Their salad bar is fabulous as well along with 3 warm fireplaces.

Dakota restaurant

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As some may recall, western Canada was originally settled (after the fur economy days) mainly by the government going to eastern Europe and inviting whole towns to migrate en masse, and gave them free land and transport to attract them.

As a result much of the West is small towns where many folks speak English AND their ethnic original languages. One town will be French/English, the next German/English, then maybe Hungarian/English, or Ukrainian/English and so on.

The upshot is I spent 17 years eating my way around Canada and found literally dozens of small dining places where the food was absolutely outstanding...and no one over 100 miles away ever heard of the great majority of them. But for the person who loves genuine traditional cuisine of all varied ethnic groups, almost heavenly.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One in Vegas I skipped. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:

A glass of wine might help.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How about a restaurant offering scrambled eggs on the menu, but refusing to make fried eggs?

How about a restaurant that has a regular menu, and a kids menu, but refusing to serve an adult a snack from the kids menu?

How about a restaurant refusing to serve a burger at 11.50, as it is on the lunch menu, and it is not 12.00 yet?

How about a restaurant that serves starters on a flat glass plate, measuring about 2x12 inches?

And the total on that plate can fit into a large tea spoon?

I have had my share of so called "Award winning chef's".

And it gives great pleasure to tell them in no uncertain terms that a McDonald's beats them any day clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
One in Vegas I skipped. Big Grin

Grizz

While I haven't eaten there, I'm nearly certain you made a mistake by skipping this joint. Looks like some damn fine eating to me.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about a restaurant offering scrambled eggs on the menu, but refusing to make fried eggs?How about a restaurant that has a regular menu, and a kids menu, but refusing to serve an adult a snack from the kids menu?How about a restaurant refusing to serve a burger at 11.50, as it is on the lunch menu, and it is not 12.00 yet?How about a restaurant that serves starters on a flat glass plate, measuring about 2x12 inches?And the total on that plate can fit into a large tea spoon?I have had my share of so called "Award winning chef's". And it gives great pleasure to tell them in no uncertain terms that a McDonald's beats them any day
How about a restaurant that charges for a glass of water?

How about a restaurant that makes you ask for a key to the restroom?

How about a restaurant that doesn't have about half what's on the menu?

How about a restaurant that serves meals with hair in the food?

How about a restaurant with no hot water in the bathroom and no hand towels.

How about a restaurant where the waitress has to spray for flies on the window while you're eating.

How about a restaurant that doesn't know what a soup spoon is.

How about a restaurant (I saved the best til last) where you eat, look at your watch, count forward 6 hrs, and figure if nothing happens by then, you're probably OK.

..I could go on and on...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to seek out Mom and Pop or local resturants where the locals eat. Some of the 5 star resturants are worse than bad, and stupid expensive.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Wife and I make a point whenever we go on vacation to only eat at local places, to the best of our ability. Barring that, regional chains that we didn't have at home.
I'm happy to say that some of the best food we've had was in little diners run by just everyday folk. Pretense, "food-as-art" and exclusivity don't make the meal any more enjoyable. Good food, good people and a feeling that you're always welcome do it for me.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The dishes will cause a stir among the most neglected senses; from moments of humour, pleasure, fear, reflection and nostalgia....

Just what I want, to be afraid while enjoying a $2000 dinner.......unnnhhhn......NO!!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have got to be kidding me! Those people are so full of themselves it's sickening.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No BBQ joints?
List must be wrong

Mark

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
OK...... No rib joints, let me help you out. Try Shane's Rib Shack, Lawrenceville Ga. I am sure there are others just as good, but when I visited there with my wife and Grand Kids we were the only non minority/good old boys in the crowded dinning room. Great food, wonderful servers, a great time had by all. It is a "must do" when I visit the South.

There was a big painting on the wall of "Our Founder". It was one of the guys busing the tables. Cool

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote