Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting/fishing organization banquets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I could never figure out why these are so enormously popular. I have been to a few -- NWTF, RMEF, that sort of thing -- and they seem to be dominated by an insider network of good old boys with trophy wives who can't hold their liquor or their wallets. After all the ego-stroking recognition, the invariably loud auction goes on forever until in the wee hours, everyone goes home drunk and exhausted, and most of the best drawing prizes are won by folks who could afford them in the first place.
Just my take. I know some folks absolutely love these events.
Me, I'd rather just make a donation to the cause and skip the spectacle.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Plus One here.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what's wrong with going home drunk and exhausted, except it may lead to more children?? Big Grin

In addition, almost everytime I go to one, there are some real bargains to be had. One just has to stay sober enough to know when to say when while bidding.

I am not ever in that situation, since I've cut my bidding teeth on coin auctions, which are invariably fast and furious, and one learns to decide on his final bid well in advance (There ain't no, "I've got five thousand, come on, who'll give fifty-one hundred." That just doesn't happen, not enough time when they are moving hundreds of lots/hour) or one will be left in the dust, thinking, "Damn, I should have bid one more time.") Took me one session at my first real coin auction that I flew into NYC for to find that out.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did my first auction at sci and liked it.

If one wastes a lot of time on ar and has an idea of what is value in hunting space.

An auction is fun way to pick some value purchases.

Also an auction and what is offered for auction tells me a lot about the hunting business.

I know exactly What I want to buy and the max price I am willing to pay in advance.

I drink the free beer offered at sci and just wait. I will be in the auction rooms at dsc too.

As with anything you need to know what you are buying and know what you want to pay. The auction show is just that - a show.

Sci and dsc auction are very similar to my dad's buddy who goes to the races and bets small cause he spends the week reading the handicap book. Ar is my handicap book.

Would I buy a auction to hunt South Africa - zero chance. Something in the save or bubye or a fishing trip with a well known outfitter. I will look at it if the price is right.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Free beer makes it all worthwhile.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I could never figure out why these are so enormously popular. I have been to a few -- NWTF, RMEF, that sort of thing -- and they seem to be dominated by an insider network of good old boys with trophy wives who can't hold their liquor or their wallets. After all the ego-stroking recognition, the invariably loud auction goes on forever until in the wee hours, everyone goes home drunk and exhausted, and most of the best drawing prizes are won by folks who could afford them in the first place.
Just my take. I know some folks absolutely love these events.
Me, I'd rather just make a donation to the cause and skip the spectacle.

DSC's banquets are fun, for me at least, and an astute buyer oftentimes can score a decent buy in the auctions. There is and always will be a few over served people and some of those spend a lot of money, which we appreciate.
So...I can send a link to you and
CHC if you'd like to make a donation to the cause. Wink

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Free beer makes it all worthwhile.

They also add Bloody Mary mix to make a free michelada Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Karl, I plan to re-join DSC shortly. Always wanted to go to the convention -- the banquets not so much.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, we'd love to have you as a member and visit our convention. I can't get you to Dallas, but I can get you in the convention...let me know if you get near Dallas during our convention.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karl.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill,as per our P.M.'s,if after the DSC convention you are heading south on I35 toward Austin give me a shout. Randy

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Karl, I plan to re-join DSC shortly. Always wanted to go to the convention -- the banquets not so much.

Bill if you want to be sponsored, let me know... I'm a DSC life member....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
CHC if you'd like to make a donation to the cause.

I did at least once in the past. Back in 1999 or 2000 or somewhere in that neighborhood.

I enjoyed being a member of DSC for the time I was, I think the organization does a lot of great work.

I enjoyed the conventions, just was not able to attend one all that often due to scheduling. Between driving to/in Dallas and spending the weekend in a stand helping someone get a deer or a pig, I will always choose hunting.

I really do wish I could make it down to one of the conventions and to the AR get together during the convention.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you enjoy all that free beer, ask the bartender when the beer lines were cleaned.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fellas, just to follow up, I did renew my DSC membership. I'll likely leave it at that. 2019 convention, maybe.

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fellas, just to follow up, I did renew my DSC membership. I'll likely leave it at that. 2019 convention, maybe.

Thanks, Bill. Let me know if you are coming to Dallas in January 2018.

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

Thanks, Bill. Let me know if you are coming to Dallas in January 2018.

....and you can always come hunt pigs a couple of hours E of Dallas, as long as you promise not to bring any Lone Star beer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me re-phrase that, you can come and hunt hogs and bring all the free beer you want. Even Lone Star. Wink

Bud Light Lime preferred. A good friend runs on it.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I swear that Lone Star has changed their recipe. It does not even taste the same as it did in the early-mid 70's. It was a very smooth beer then,now it tastes bitter.Have'nt tried the longnecks in a while but those were always the best.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's entirely possible. Schlitz was the number one selling beer in US in the 60s (from memory so could be off a decade), the bean counters decided they could save a few bucks by using cheaper ingredients, that the people who drank Schlitz would never know the difference. They were wrong and sales plummeted, never to recover. Hard to even find Schlitz these days.

xxxxxxxxxx