Find
Notify
Tools

understanding words
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Word and Expressions we've lost...

> Would you recognize the word Murgatroyd? - Heavens to Murgatroyd!
> Lost Words from our childhood: Words gone as fast as the buggy whip!
> Sad really!
>
> How about a "whatchamacallit" ?
>
> The other day, a not so elderly (65) lady said something to her son about
> driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and asked what the heck is
> a Jalopy? He had never heard of the word jalopy!! She knew she was old, but not that old.
>
> Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle - by
> Richard Lederer
000 000 000 000 000

> About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become
> obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases
> included "Don't touch that dial," "Carbon copy," "You sound like a broken
> Record" and "Hung out to dry."
>
> Back in the good old days we had a lot of moxie. We'd put on our best bib and Tucker to straighten up and fly right - Heavens to Betsy!
> Gee whillikers! Holy moley! We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!
>
> Back in the good old days, life used to be swell but when was the last time
> anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys, the
> D.A, spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal
> pushers.
>
> We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap and before we can say, I'll be a monkey's uncle or this is a fine kettle of fish! - we discover
> that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice.
>
> Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink and
> they're gone. Where have all those phrases gone?
>
> Long gone: Pshaw/The milkman did it/Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget
> to pull the chain/Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks!
> Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden
> Nickels/Heavens to Murgatroyd!
>
> It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter
> Has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! We of a certain age have
> been lucky to live in changeful times. For a child each new word is like
> a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the Chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective Memory. It's one of the great advantages of aging.
>
> See ya later, alligator!
>

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after while, crocodile...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
That ain't funny, McGee!

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Were you born in a barn?

Who died and left you in charge!

Blinking his eyes like a frog in a Hail Storm!

Can til can't!

He's a good egg, but hen's asses are full of them!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wowsers that was keen daddy-o

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
He was so low he could set on a cigarette paper + swing his legs. I still use the term "Suffering Cats".Daddy Warbucks used it + I like to keep some things alive.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My god, this is a geriatric website.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nopride2- Not to those of us born and raised in the first half of the last century.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple from a friend in Montana:

1. Shines like a diamond in a goat's ass.
2. Rawhiders
3. Cap and Ball Outfit.

2 & 3 refer to ranchers starting out, generally on a budget. Two is a reference to the fact that they used rawhide to build corrals. Wet it, stretch it, and wrap it. Shrinks as it dries.
Three is another reference to budget ventures. These early guys did not have the $$ for a number of years to purchase new cartridge firearms.

Still wet behind the ears.
Dingier than a pet raccoon.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the oldies are still being used .Heard recently - blasted to smitherines !
Another was one I had thought it was a local Brooklyn term but it isn't - samolians, an often used currency .That actually I've seen in stories .

I told you it's still used !Q
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...brief-explosion.html
dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my favorite

"raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock"

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
slicker than a handful of deer guts on a door knob...

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
A retort to a nosey inquiry . . .

You writing a book
Well, leave that chapter out.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slipperyier than a honeymoon peter

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"educated past their intelligence"

"Okie Dokie"

"if your brains were dynamite, you don't have enough to blow your nose!"

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your brains were gas there would'nt be enough to power a piss ants go cart around a dime. They could take your brains + shove them up a gnats ass + they would roll around like a BB on a 4 lane highway.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best part of you dripped down your fathers leg.
You can fool all of the people some of the time & some off the people all of the time, but you can't fool mom.
You writing a book?
Bend over and we'll make it a fuck book.
Go piss up a rope.

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best part of you dripped down your fathers leg

In his case, they kept the afterbirth and threw out the baby. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I'm so blessed I get friction off a pickle jar.

One of my current favorites. Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Wish in one hand and shit in the other....

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If ifs + buts were candy + nuts,what a merry christmas we would have.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
My god, this is a geriatric website.

Dave

Dave, you don't have to get sore about it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Pigs fly
Shinier than a niggers ass
Faster than a scalded cat
Smart as a Fox
A plug nickel

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah back in the day the movie theatre balcony was known as nigger heaven.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Jesus, some of you are "from a different generation" aren't you?! Eeker Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Jesus, some of you are "from a different generation" aren't you?! Eeker Big Grin

More like a different world. Wink

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Col. Cooper said,"The past is like another country,they do things differently there."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Grampa lived in Milwaukee WI. A couple of his favorites. (He was born in the last half of two centuries ago)

Take a walk to the East until your hat floats, keep walking, we will get the hat.

"Keep it up and I'll knock you into the middle of next week" To which the reply was "I will be waiting for you"

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I still use Hunky Dory and Okie Dokie and my kids do too, probably not knowing how arcane they've become. My wife (who is French) probably thinks they are modern expressions. She really likes "See you later, alligator" and "After awhile, crocodile".

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
>Hotter than Hell...
>Colder than a witch's tit on the shady side of an iceberg...

Posts: 94 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,I have found the conversation stopper reply after "After While Crocadile" is "After supper Motherfxxxer".I did that when I was young but never today.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Like Col. Cooper said,"The past is like another country,they do things differently there."

That was L.P. Hartley... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Scott:
>Hotter than Hell...
>Colder than a witch's tit on the shady side of an iceberg...

Thought that was "colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra..."

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert,I stand corrected. Col. Cooper phrased it in his column + even wrote a book by that title but I don't recall him ever claiming that he coined it himself.I firmly believe in truth in history,whether great or small.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Some of these whippersnappers really just dont get it. Aint that a fine how do ya do..

Posts: 10126 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't that the cat's pajamas?