WALTER'S OWN

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Walter's Own General Discussions    German trench facilities on the French front during World War I?

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German trench facilities on the French front during World War I?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having read several books about the western front during World War I, the [universal] consensus of authors I have read is that the safety and habitability of German trench system was demonstrably superior to all allied systems. But nowhere have I been able to find out why this consensus exists, or why German trench system was superior - if, in fact it was.

Since I make the assumption that the German system was superior, can anyone provide information, including sources if possible, how the Germans built their trench system that provided improved safety and comfort for its infantry?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Common military consensus, the other guy's stuff is always better. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In true Teutonic form, they built them to last; concrete quarters, solid wood structures, + superior sanitary facilities. My great uncle was in the AEF + when young he told some stories of life in the trenches; wish had told more. He was impressed by their efficiency. As true then as it always has been the Germans took war seriously while the English treated it like sport. For reading material on the subject, you might wish to read the reminiscences of Eric Von Ludendorff.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote