Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of The Alamo......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
quote:
The latest chapter of the Alamo’s esteemed history was written this past weekend, when, on the monument’s hallowed grounds, police detained a man who was wearing nothing but his underwear while riding a stick horse and waving a rubber chicken. Matthew Silver, a performance artist and clown (his words), stripped down to his tighty-whities at the Alamo on Saturday before hopping on a stick horse and waving around the rubber chicken, yelling “I’m at the Alamo,” the San Antonio Express-News reported on Tuesday. He made it about five seconds before he was swarmed by Alamo rangers. The incident was captured on video. Silver told the Express-News he was “scared shitless,” but he avoided spending time in the slammer because he technically wasn’t naked. Apparently it’s legal to prance around the Alamo in your undies. But please don’t do it. Please. Even though Silver remains a free man, he is now banned from all federal property in Texas, according to the Express-News. The underwear stunt is a go-to move for Silver, who said he’s done it for years in New York. But, uh, Texas is not New York. Silver learned that the hard way.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
No,Texas is not New York,thank God. I do have a sense of humor however to be disrespectful at a shrine is not humor anymore than when Ozzy Osbourne pissed on the Alamo several years ago. Some of us take that sacred birthplace of Texas independance quite seriously.Does any other state have anything even close to compare?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCxnx_OEPuY

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Randle. I need to contact Ray + get a copy of that C.D. That is one I don't have.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year Lora and I got the chance to see Ray and Asleep At The Wheel at the theater in Graham Texas and they did that song.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
God Bless Texas and the men who died at the Alamo, the set the standard for bravery and at odds like have never been seen before or since, and they all had the option to walk away..

In much of todays America, we lost that pride and replaced it with people that have no pride or purpose other than whining and piss'en down their leg when something goes wrong or against them personally like the reaction to the presidency, what a croc that's been.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,well yes + no. I personally as a Texan am proud of the defenders of the birthplace of Texas,but let us not forget the 300 Spartans at Thermopoylae against Xerxes forces in 480 B.C.as well as the greasy grass in 1876.I suppose that I have a great respect for those few who held out against the many + paid for it with their lives.On the walls of my office I have 2 paintings. One is the battle of The Little Bighorn,the other is Winslow Homer's "The Gulf Stream".A constant reminder of man's bravery through rejection of the odds,regardless of outcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the thoughts about the Alamo. There is a feeling that I get when standing at the site/going thru the museum/walking the grounds that I simply cannot put into words.

As for the Little Bighorn Battlefield, it stirs no such emotions simply because it could have been avoided on a bunch of levels.

Between miscommunication/arrogance and a really unhealthy dose of over confidence. It was an extremely important event in our nations history, but from my research of that era and the events that led up to the battle, things could have been handled differently. Quite possibly had the mind set at that point in history been the same as it supposedly was in more recent times, Custer possibly/probably would have been fragged by some of his own troops.

To be at that site and looking at how Custer approached the village, he should have realized that he was facing a far superior force with the home field advantage.

I have either read or listened to nearly everything that has been written about Custer, and he simply let his own pride and thirst for glory lead him into a confrontation he had no realistic chance of winning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made two knife handles with wood from the live oak there in the Alamo. I have one other handle that I will make next year for a Texas client and friend. I try to be respectful of materials such as this.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is pretty neat, do you have any pictures of them???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old college bud that was an anthropologist + he told me that the suicide rate in the 7th was higher than anywhere else. I.E, Custer was an asshole.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My attitude toward Custer has changed over the years after all that I have read about him and a lot of the information that has been put forth has been conflicting on various levels.

One aspect that has puzzled me concerning his death. Reports differ, but supposedly his body had not been mutilated after the battle, unlike Tom Custer whose body was extremely mutilated.

The part that puzzles me is that from reports concerning other battles with Indians during that time period, one being the Fetterman Massacre I believe, is that in a battle with whites, if the white committed suicide during the battle, the Indians would not mutilate that particular body.

Have never read of any definitive confirmation that Indians had a strong enough belief/fear of the concept of suicide that kept them from mutilating the bodies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes we have heard that Custer's body was not mutilated. One story is that as he had taken an Cheyenne woman as a lover that they considered her in a wife role.I disregard that they did it out of respect to his warrior status. Saw a movie several years ago "Son Of The Morning Star" narrated by Buffy Sainte Marie that mentioned that they did not mutilate the body although the women did ream out his ears with needles so he could hear "on the other side" since he could not hear on this side.