WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiat converrtible sedans in "High Road to China"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My DVD of the 1983 motion picture, "High Road to China", is one of the most fun entertainments I own. I have some questions about it for which I need the help of a car enthusiast of European sedans and convertibles of the 1920s.

The setting for the movie begins in the greater area of Cairo, Egypt, within a few years after World War I. The principle female lead, portrayed by Bess Armstrong, uses a left-side drive convertible 4-door whose grill shows a stylized "Fiat" brand name. Villains in Cairo drive what appears to be the same model Fiat, but with right-side drive.

When Armstrong and the male lead, portrayed by Tom Selleck, land their biplanes in Northwest Frontier district of India, the British RAF contingent commander travels in what appears to be the same model Fiat, with left-side drive.

What are these cars? Are they, in fact, Fiats? If they are, please identify model and year. If they are not Fiats, as specifically as you can, identify what they are.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
I can’t help with make or model of The autos; however I will agree that it’s one of The most enjoyable dvds that are in my home. My wife just rolled her eyes when I told her someone else out there had a copy of this film also.

Posts: 242 | Location: Lake Linden Mi | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I get the same results about my liking of the early 60s David Niven movie, "The Best Of Enemies". Thank GOD she's not into chick flicks; that would be impossible to handle. A few I can live with because a bit of compromise is essential but my ex was a big Julia Roberts fan + I can't stand that poser.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite movies, and IMHO probably one of the best performances by Tom Selleck

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the first films i saw of him when i was a kid, one of his best ones. Have it on dvd also.

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the IMCDB (Internet Movie Car Database - they have ones for planes and firearms too), they have both Fiat and Ansaldo in the film, along with a couple of cars "unidentified". The car in India was argued to be an Essex, but opinions varied.

As to good Tom Selleck movies of the inter-war years, check out "Lassiter", with Bob Hoskins. He plays a jewel thief drafted into espionage against the Nazis just prior to the war. Try to ignore Ed Lauter's painfully bad attempt at an English (London) accent. Straight out of Walt Disney/Dick Van Dyke/Mary Poppins. For those of you unfamiliar, that's REALLY bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lassiter is a very fine one,one of his very best it is, and it should get more acknowledgment also.

Not a Lassiter or a Selleck ,but from same era. The British Campion series .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to The Champions TV series of the late 60's?