New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anthony Bourdain?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had no idea who this guy was but everyone seems upset about his death.
Then we watched a show the other night about some of his travels. It started off in Southern Louisiana. Cajun Mardi Gras. Those guys really know how to get F***** up! He was right in the middle of it.
Next episode was in Bhutan where he ate a lot of weird food. He met a monk there that said some heavy stuff. "Religion is not important. You should wake up every morning to try to be a better human being."
Words to live by?

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
At last count the Libs do seem to own the press.I do feel sympathy for the family due to his suicide however this does happen frequently by people who are not (important in the public eye)to get big press. I have a few (ex-friends)that have done the deed but I mourn their passing.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Word on the street is he pulled a David Carradine .

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched his show. He was a liberal but he did hunt with the locals on the show, he would pull the trigger himself.
He went to exotic and non exotic places and ate and talked with interesting people.

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These responses bring up a couple of questions:

Ol'Biker- You seem like the right guy to ask this: Is Harley Davidson really leaving the US or is it all BS?

Generally speaking. Don't you guys know any libs/lefites that are hunters and fishermen? My wife, for example, is a lefty but graduated from U of Montana with an MS in Wildlife Biology, was an Idaho Conservation Officer for ten years, was an active hunter and loves to fish. Her favorite job with IDFG was blowing up beaver dams. Her favorite game meat is Pronghorn.
Our friends in Salmon, Idaho, home of Elmer(the bigger the better)Keith, seem left of left but are hunters and fishermen. She has 16 elk to her credit and every bullet has been saved (.270), lots of deer and a hell of a Mountain goat. The goat she scouted on her own, spent the night on the mountain, dressed it out (meat, head, hair, hide and hooves and called the old man to help her pack it out.
There are as many of my friends who are hunters/fishermen and are lefties as there are righties.
By the way, anybody know what happened to Big Ed Schultz? The anti Rush Limbaugh and gun totin' meat eat'n leftie from North Dakota?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think someone is confusing bourdain with zimmern.

bourdain was the too young to be a hippy and too old to be a hipster but was anyway guy.

zimmern is the bald guy that hunts and fishes, and then eats whatever they got.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nobull00:

Ol'Biker- You seem like the right guy to ask this: Is Harley Davidson really leaving the US or is it all BS?

Generally speaking. Don't you guys know any libs/lefites that are hunters and fishermen? My wife, for example, is a lefty but graduated from U of Montana with an MS in Wildlife Biology, was an Idaho Conservation Officer for ten years, was an active hunter and loves to fish. Her favorite job with IDFG was blowing up beaver dams. Her favorite game meat is Pronghorn.
Our friends in Salmon, Idaho, home of Elmer(the bigger the better)Keith, seem left of left but are hunters and fishermen. She has 16 elk to her credit and every bullet has been saved (.270), lots of deer and a hell of a Mountain goat. The goat she scouted on her own, spent the night on the mountain, dressed it out (meat, head, hair, hide and hooves and called the old man to help her pack it out.
There are as many of my friends who are hunters/fishermen and are lefties as there are righties.
By the way, anybody know what happened to Big Ed Schultz? The anti Rush Limbaugh and gun totin' meat eat'n leftie from North Dakota?

+1

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
I think someone is confusing bourdain with zimmern.

bourdain was the too young to be a hippy and too old to be a hipster but was anyway guy.

zimmern is the bald guy that hunts and fishes, and then eats whatever they got.

Bourdain shot a few animals. An eland from the truck was one...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nobull00:

Sorry not a Harley fan .I had a few when I was young and dumb.My last V Twin was a Victory.Now I am down to an off road bike.Harley has flooded the market and younger folks are not fans of big road bikes except maybe a Honda or Kawasaki touring rocket.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shown me another a list celebrity who hunted

Eland
Ducks
Pigs
And other stuff on tv

Bourdain was a cool dude and great promoter of ethical meat consumption.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ol Biker,
Well those trail bikes can hurt you too! Over the years I've fallen off everything from a Honda 90 to a XR350. Then I went to horses and mules with the same result. Finally got a really good mule, $3k plus another $1k for training. He was a really good ride. Don't do that stuff any more. Got a modified '42 jeep for off road in Az.
My older kids job is managing motorized trails in Eastern Idaho.
Interesting info about Bourdaine. I'll have to keep an eye out for more of his shows. When we were in Ecuador a few years ago they were making a big deal about him being across the street in the town we were in. Didn't have a clue. Sorry we missed out on that. My wife and I have eaten at that corner store in Louisiana "Savies"? Where his Creole/Cajun show finished.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Berreta,my 1st thought was Robert Stack,also Tom Selleck. Sad to say,one big hunter/fisherman/sportsman is Vladimir Putin.Sad because we don't seem to have anyone in our offices that can match his zeal.Read a great interview in an article in a past volume of "Sporting Classics" mag.NO politics were spoken;only sports related. As to H.D. moving outside the U.S. I have heard the rumors but nothing definate yet.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
He was a self centered IDIOT!

I watched a few minutes of one of his shows, and that was enough to convince me he is not worth my time.

He is part of the new, stupid, LOOK AT ME crowd.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I feel the same mate. Didn't mind his show at times but have no sympathy for him. He stated in one interview that his daughter meant the world to him and then he goes and tops himself. Bloody selfish action.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7970 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
He was a self centered IDIOT!

I watched a few minutes of one of his shows, and that was enough to convince me he is not worth my time.

He is part of the new, stupid, LOOK AT ME crowd.
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually thought his shows were interesting and always hate to see anyone commit suicide. That's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

But as to unusual foods, I thought it was an interesting show. Still can't tolerate those little sun-dried fishes with the sauce. Truly awful. Not real fond of kidneys either, but when the guys offer you their food, you eat it and at least pretend to like it.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
but when the guys offer you their food, you eat it and at least pretend to like it.

No you don't! You Thank them kindly and refuse, end of story! Been there done that many times on both sides of the situation.

No one is under any obligation to try something they do NOT want to try, especially where food or drink is concerned.

Sorry Lavaca, but being married to someone with a severe food allergy and having spent hours in emergency rooms watching the ER team work on her, simply because someone offered her something without either of them knowing what ingredients were in it, it will break a person from sucking eggs.

Don't know how much you know about food allergies Lavaca, but Lora has what is absolutely the WORST food allergy a Texan could possibly have.

She is allergic to Capsasin/Capsicum, the element that makes hot peppers hot. I can recall 4 times I have set in an ICU looking at the Blood Pressure monitor over the bed she was in and her Blood Pressure was registering 200 over 130.

No Sir, I don't care who it is or what part of the World you are in, anyone can politely refuse to try food or drink since they do not know how it will affect them.

Being someone that has traveled to places I never have nor ever will I can understand and appreciate your politeness and manners, but if a person gets offended because another person does not/can not or is afraid of a possible allergic reaction to sample something than the person offering the food or drink is not displaying courtesey or manners.

Kind of makes one wonder how often thru out human history bad relations have resulted simply because someone refused the offer of a fooid item or beverage, not because they were being rude but because they did not know how their own body would react.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote