WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Know any vegetarians? Send them this pic.
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted

I've already sent it to a friend of my wifes, LOL!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you all know that the word 'vegetarian' is derived from an ancient American Indian word that means 'crappy hunter.'

hilbily

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Salad is what you feed cows so they can turn it into STEAK!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:
I'm sure you all know that the word 'vegetarian' is derived from an ancient American Indian word that means 'crappy hunter.'

hilbily

A Klipspringer taken at 180 yards with a handgun. Last I checked, it was in the SCI top ten in the handgun category AND it was taken by a vegetarian.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard that vegeterians have small brains.BTW,we are omnivours not herbivores.I can`t wait to have another buff steak...extra thick this time.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:

hilbily

A Klipspringer taken at 180 yards with a handgun. Last I checked, it was in the SCI top ten in the handgun category AND it was taken by a vegetarian.

rehab...maybe mongolia would be a nice place..or just hang out near Ponderosa steakhouse...if they are still around

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I heard that vegeterians have small brains.BTW,we are omnivours not herbivores.I can`t wait to have another buff steak...extra thick this time.

I guess you could be the proof or disproof of that theorey.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I worked offshore O&G in the Caspian Sea I ate vegetarian for the 28 days I was on, for good reason... horse I never felt better in my life and hope, in retirement, to cut way back on meat intake.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
I was on a raw milk and porridge diet for a couple of years. In that time i more than doubled my weight and never felt better.

Then i got teeth and my mother weaned me of in a hurry.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:

What was the purpose of killing an animal that you had no intention of eating?

quote:
When I worked offshore O&G in the Caspian Sea I ate vegetarian for the 28 days I was on, for good reason... I never felt better in my life and hope, in retirement, to cut way back on meat intake.

If you truly felt better on a vegetarian diet, why should you have to wait for retirement, and then "cut way back" on meat intake? Why not just stop eating meat 'cold turkey'(pun intended)right now?

It looks to me like the whole veg*n (vegetarian / vegan) 'thing' is more of a religious movement than a simple dietary choice. Not unlike homosexuality, veg*n adherents wrap their personal identities, if not their entire lives around it.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:

What was the purpose of killing an animal that you had no intention of eating?

It looks to me like the whole veg*n (vegetarian / vegan) 'thing' is more of a religious movement than a simple dietary choice. Not unlike homosexuality, veg*n adherents wrap their personal identities, if not their entire lives around it.

Pretty funny. You are apparently unaware of the fact that MANY hunters kill things they don't intend to eat.

While religion is the motivating factor for some vegetarians, that is by no means always the case. If you wish to live a bit longer and perhaps avoid bypass surgery while avoiding the cost of various drugs, vegetarianism is the way to go.

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty funny. You are apparently unaware of the fact that MANY hunters kill things they don't intend to eat.

Hunters eat or otherwise utilize what they kill.
Shooters use animals as novelty targets.

quote:
While religion is the motivating factor for some vegetarians, that is by no means always the case. If you wish to live a bit longer and perhaps avoid bypass surgery while avoiding the cost of various drugs, vegetarianism is the way to go.

Just ask:

Steve Jobs
Linda McCartney
Robin Gibb
Maurice Gibb
George Harrison
Davy Jones
Donna Summer

Just to name a few of the more famous veg*ns who died young of cancer or heart disease, despite having access to the best medical care available. These unfortunate people no doubt believed that their veg*n diets made them immune to disease.

Nobody can argue that the typical American diet is terrible. Full of sugar (HFCS,) sodium, empty calories and GMO garbage. But diet is only one part aspect of health and even now its role is not fully understood. How many foods are considered unhealthy one week and healthy the next? For example: eggs. Not so long ago eggs were considered unhealthy "cholesterol bombs." People were advised not to eat more than 3 per week. Now, according to many sources eggs are "health food." Who knows, next week somebody will say eggs the leading cause of cancer. The science of nutrition is far from settled.

There is no positive evidence that a veg*n diet alone (that is, with no other lifestyle changes) leads to a longer or healthier life. The argurment that veg*ns are healthier and/or longer lived is mostly based on studies done on Seventh Day Adventists. The Adventist faith recommends (but does not require) a vegetarian diet. They also follow other positive lifestyle choices such as temperance and avoidance of drugs.

Have you ever noticed that much of what's considered "junk food" - 'munchies' such as potato chips, french fries, candy, bakery and such - is PLANT BASED? The hamburger patty is about the only thing at a typical fast food restaurant that offers any real nutrition. Almost everythng else is plant based and full of fat, empty calories and carbohydrates.

Humans are omnivours. Nature has truly blessed us. We can eat almost anything and can thrive almost anywhere.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post

I didn't eat this one but I have a shoulder mount of it hanging on my wall. I've heard the meat isn't that good so I'm not sure anyone ate it. Was it a "novelty target" or does having it hanging on my wall count as utilizing it?

Neither I nor anyone else ate or otherwise utilized this starling. Is it a novelty target?

Another novelty target I suppose. I believe I fed it to vultures; does that count for utilizing it?

Oh, as far as vegetarians and vegans dieing, I was never aware of any claim that they lived forever.

The argument about other lifestyle differences besides vegetarianism in some groups being contributory to longer life span is somewhat valid. There is a study being conducted by Loma Linda University called the Adventist Health Study that may tease out more information about this. Some Seventy-Day Adventists smoke and some use alcohol. In a study involving 75,000 individuals there are bound to be some bad guys that may give some statistically significant information regarding the impact of just vegetarianism on longevity.

You might also look into the China Study which, as far as I know, has nothing to do with Seventh-Day Adventists.

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
There's no doubt that you can hit your targets-

The only thing I'm having trouble figuring out is why?

I doubt that you're some sort of psychopath who likes to kill things just for the heck of it. Those critters are probably dead because you have the same hunting instinct that I have. (Along with everybody else on this board.) But why would humans have a hunting instinct if we weren't designed to eat at least some meat? Can you please explain why someone who has the hunting urge would deny themselves the full satisfaction of putting the results of thier success on the dinner table?

Can you tell me why you would choose a diet that would, presumedly for health reasons, exclude a lean nutrient-packed venison steak (with vegetables on the side, of course) but would allow for a supersized order of French fries, a bag of Fritos, a package of Ho-Ho's, all washed down with a big gulp of soda pop?

I will say this - you've broken the stereotype of veg*ns being animal rights advocates.

No longer Bigasanelk

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I don't know why I have the hunting instinct. When my parents finally let me have a BB gun at age 14, it came with the instructions to "not shoot anything;" meaning birds (LOL). Perhaps I get it from my Viking anscestors who raped and pillaged across Europe.

And, you're right, there is much that goes into a healthy diet besides just being a vegetarian.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
would that mean that they are in a vegetative state?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote