New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After work. I am going to take a Venison Back Strap flay let it come to room temp and toss it is seasoned flour, and brown it in canola oil and butter in a ceramic Dutch.

Then remove the meat, and brown/sauté diced garlic, yellow onion also diced, and carriots. Then add two cups of Cabernet Sauvignon with six fresh steamed pilled and diced tomatoes which have been salted. Re add meat, turn down and let everything marry.

I will make a rustic potato mash from Golden Yukons cooked in seasoned water.

The potatoes will make a bed where the meat sliced thin four to a plate with the sauce lidded over the meat and potatoes.

We will also serve with a homemade one rise bread.

Desert will be a Port tasting where we compare a Graham 30 year tawny against a Sadaman’s 20 year tawny, and Cockburn’s 10 year tawny.

I have had Taylor Fladgate 40 year Twany and a single Vintage that had aged 20 years. I usually keep a bottle of 20 year tawny from TF. This will be he first 30 year twany tired by the House.

I am actually going to pair a glass of Graham’s with my dinner.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
LH, Those golden Yukons are hard to beat. In the batter that I use I use the flour, a little garlic salt, more pepper, + Hungarian paprika all mixed together. I put on the flour mixture after battering the meat strips in beaten eggs. Works even better on the stovetop (for me).

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds great!

You should post this in the recipe subforum.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC. That sounds delicious. I am going to add Hungarian paprika to the seasoning of the flour. I agree, there is no such thing as too much black pepper.

Anyone could use olive oil 4 table spoons or walnut oil instead of canola.

I forgot we had a recipe sub forum.

I disk the Golden Yukons and cook them in black pepper and sea salt infused water. You cannot use too much. Strain, and mash with milk and butter. You could eat, and I do, the Golden Yukon’s straight out of the water.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds pretty much perfect. Add some sauteed onions and sides of mushrooms and grilled asparagus and it would be perfect. IMHO.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca: I agree with you on the mushrooms. Unfortunately, my brother thinks he is allergic to mushrooms. We cannot serve them we he dines with us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LH, maybe your brother remembers the old adage, "All mushrooms can be eaten; some only once".

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, while on the mushroom line, I baked 2 Quiche Loraines 2 nights ago. 1 lb. cheddar cheese,6 eggs, spinach, sauteed onions + garlic, bacon + heavy whipping cream + 2 deep dish shells (heavy dose of paprika as well). The wife is on the Keto diet + this makes it easy to just cut a slice whenever + nuke it. Easier than trying to make several different meals. I know that the heavy whipping cream sounds out of bounds but it's not providing one doesn't overeat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah + the fresh mushrooms (DUH)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dinner was amazing. All but a small piece was eaten. The sauce I got perfect with time on heat/cooking to the perfect stick to the back of the spoon consistency.

The 30 Twany Graham Port really provides a noticeable difference. We all picked it out on blind ports. If you can, want to afford it, it is worth its permium.

Here is to old dogs, older whiskey, and friends older still.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A nice toast my friend; many happy returns.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Every farmer knows dinner is mid day, some call it lunch. Supper is in the evening. Regardless I could eat that meal anytime!

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For supper we had simple grilled tenderloin.

Growing up we had Breakfast no later than six except on Sunday, lunch 11ish, dinner about 4pm, and supper 9pm.

Those were good days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to work with a guy who said, "Those damn Yankees say dinner when they mean supper."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LH, we used to eat lunch after church about 11:00. The whole clan would meet up at Underwood's BBQ in Wichita Falls. On occasion, we would go to Luby's. It was a big deal. I remember in 64 when we were all eating there that politics got brought up + no one could believe that Uncle dick was gonna vote for Barry Goldwater. We were all Democrats back then, all the south was, but it was a different party then.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
LH:

Please advise early, the next time you cook another feast. I will bring the wine. dancing

And a cheese cake for dessert.

Kind regards,

carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpediem;

If you are in the area, you are more than welcome.

No better desert than good cheesecake.

My kitchen is remodel (new floors) will be done tomorrow.

This Friday I am doing an oven roasted chicken raised by my neighbor. Delicious! You would swear it was deep fried. Golden Yukon mash again, but I make a pan gravy out of the rendered chicken fat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right on about the cheesecake. There is a place here in Austin called "The cheesecake Factory" that is superb. My stepdaughter every couple of years will bake one for me + it's to die for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
You are right on about the cheesecake. There is a place here in Austin called "The cheesecake Factory" that is superb. My stepdaughter every couple of years will bake one for me + it's to die for.

My adopted uncle from Alabama makes a cheesecake handed down from his mother when his mother and father were in Ohio. It is genuine yankees from New York certified great.

Cheesecake and port. Why did I not make the cheesecake!?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I love to cook, I have always found the cheesecake too labor-intensive (for me). But meat + potatoes, I'm your man.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
NC
Easy Peasy Cheesecake
Follow the directions on the Eagle Brand, sweetened condensed milk.

OR

https://www.keyingredient.com/...-no-bake-cheesecake/

Simple butter and graham cracker crumb crust recipe and in a few minutes you have the basis.

Unfortunately one can only find already prepared cherries or blueberries (canned) for a topping.

Not much effort or time and pretty dang good eatin!
Best of all even with the Eagle Brand, Cream Cheese, Butter Graham Crackers and fruit topping it is calorie free! Smiler

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to look at at that (when the stores are open + have anything). My stepdaughter gave me her recipe + is good but it's also a page long. Too intensive for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will get my uncle’s recipe and post it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see it.