Notify
Tools

Fish Fry Time!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
Boys,

Its Lent and the weather's nice outside; its fish fry time again. I had a small one last Friday. We only cooked a couple pounds (and drank a whole bunch of bourbon) but we had a hell of a time. Between the catfish, Poppers, and home sliced fried potatoes we all had plenty to eat. Corn meal and hot grease does something magical for fish. Now I remember why I miss this time of year!

I've pretty much got my recipe down, but does anyone have a batter recipes they'd like to share?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
No recipes, but this post brought back memories. When my grandparents (Mamaw and Papaw) were still alive we young'uns used to join them at a trailer they owned on a lake in Mississippi. Kids, and Papaw, were cut loose to catch crappie, bluegills, and bass. We'd bring 'em back to the trailer and Mamaw would clean 'em, maybe with a little help from a kid, and then she'd fry up a BIG mess of fish and hushpuppies.

Those were the days. Papaw died almost 20 years ago and Mamaw, at 96-years-old passed away a couple months back. The old matriarch was shooting competitively with her .22LR revolver into her late 80's.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's mine - great with walleye fingers
white pepper
red pepper (cayene)
black pepper
poultry seasoning
a seasoning salt (johnny works for me)
garlic powder
onion powder
mix these with amounts to taste together and add to a cup of flour (more or less again to taste the hotter you like it the less flour)
soad fish in beer for about 20 minutes minimum (2 hrs is best)
Shake fish in the batter mix and fry it up

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote