New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using Vibration to Settle Black Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of you that do not subscribe to the Single Shot Exchange Magazine, I just posted the article at the link below. The article was published in the August edition.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Using...ct-Black-Powder.html

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Know a guy who uses a motor from an old electric razor ...buzzzzzzz

Posts: 7761 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of us can be really inventive in our sports.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that a vibratory tool held against the side of the case will "settle" the powder in the vicinity of the vibrator but not the entire powder column.
This can be demonstrated by observing the powder when the vibrator is close to the top of the charge and observing that it changes as it is placed in other places on the side of the case.

My belief is that the most effective method would be to start the vibration at the base of the case and gradually move it up the side as to settle the granules from the bottom up.

Ultimately, the best set up may be a vibrating platform upon which the case sits as it is being filled with a drop tube thus settling the powder column AS it is filling the case.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to load a lot of buffered loads in my 10 ga. Somewhere along the line I found an old electric razor that had a removable head. Under the head were a couple of prongs that engaged/moved the cutter head. I found that if I dumped the buffer on top of the shot and then held the base of the case against the vibrating prongs, the buffer would settle into the shot in just a couple of seconds. This might be worth a try with black powder?
C.G.B.

Posts: 1089 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I have started using my shaving razor to settle black powder in the 45-70. Five seconds for each case seems to work well. I have no idea about the powder density variation along the height of the case. How would we measure that?
Thanks,
Rich in MD

Posts: 41 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 12 September 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been doing this for many years; put the powder in the cases and stand them all up in the loading block. Rest the block on your case tumbler, (while it is running). The cases will all start spinning and the powder level will drop instantly. Do 50 at a time. One at a time I do not have time for.
Density? they will all settle only so much.

Posts: 17018 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s a great idea to use the case tumbler and do all 50 at once. I like it.

Posts: 41 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 12 September 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post