New
Find
Notify
Tools

What wad do you prefer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've used the vegetable fiber wads from John King in some of my BPCR handloads, but hear a lot of good things about low-density polyethylene wads. What is your experience?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vegetable wads have always worked well for me, sometimes (using paper patch bullets) combined with a grease cookie made of SPG surrounded with milk carton discs.

After cleaning out the revolting remains of plastic shot cups from BP shotgun barrels I never tried plastic again.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. I have not heard complaints about the poly wads in BPC rifles, but am familiar with the mess the plastic shot cups make in a black powder smoothbore. Never again.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vegetable fibre is just a fancy name for gasket paper wads; after all, they are made from "vegetables). Paper.
That is what I use; either the thin or thick ones; doesn't seem to make any difference. From Buffalo arms.Forgot who made them.
Poly? I never used them but see no reason to even try.

Posts: 17024 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom. Buffalo Arms carries the Walters wads. I have some in .40 and .45; will order some in .50.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another oldie I've missed.

I bought a set of hole punches from HF.

A couple sq feet of 1/16" white fiber material and punched a bunch out. All totals less than $10.

Stuffed 'em in a big pill bottle and warmed up a tube of bore butter and let 'em soak.

I use them in a Walker. Just fine, cheap and will keep forever I think. At least 15 years now and still fresh.

These might be worth trying in your cartridge guns too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Another oldie I've missed.

I bought a set of hole punches from HF.

A couple sq feet of 1/16" white fiber material and punched a bunch out. All totals less than $10.

I’ve done exactly the same but I don’t lube mine.
The HF set has 3/8’ which works great for 360BPEs, 7/16” which works for 400s and 1/2” which is good for the 500s.
For my 450s I buy from Buffalo Arms but I should make a punch out of a sharpened 45-70 case.
The card stock I make mine from is white card from sterilizer biological test packs.
Works great and is free to me so, you know, I have to use it!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post