Notify
Tools

GOEX black powder is closing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://namlhunt.com/goex-to-c...ucWAvCXQzJ0z--4Xxbwg

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lack of demand for the product ?

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My reply when I saw Wayne's post over on the ASSRA forums:
This makes me sick. I hope all who read this will send a note to Hodgdon asking that black powder be restored to their lineup as soon as possible, or we'll end up castrated just like the BP community in South Africa did a few years ago.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Bill. They are in business to make money. If they have a loud response from users of their product to continue production, then that's what they'll do. If not, then why should they bother.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goex is my brand of choice for loading Cowboy Action loads for a black powder class. They did have a drop ship program for cases quantities to the user. I can't imagine they did not have enough sales. But, with the costs involved in production and shipping who can say?

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the several explosions at the factory over the years (latest one in June this year) was a factor in the decision to cease production. I understand they're looking for a buyer.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
They may have realized that substitutes are the future with new shooters. As just pointed out, black powder can be a big liability. Their Blackhorn powder is non-corrosive and can be ignited with caps or 209's. I predict they will focus their production here.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try any of that stuff in a Flintlock and you will not be shooting at all.
Yes, it's sad. But young shooters simply will not learn how to manage real black powder, so there is no demand for it.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, that's scary! I've got quite a bit of Goex right now, but not knowing if you can get it in the future is not good. I would hope that they can get a buyer for the business and not just shut it down permanently.

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLS3dwxr4o&t=268s

Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update and posting this interview. Hopefully, someone will purchase GOEX and keep it going for us traditional muzzleloaders. tu2

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear it. I haven't tried Blackthorn, but I hated shooting Pyrodex. Seemed harder to clean. Easy to find since shipping has fewer restrictions, though.

But I think the stopping and starting of production, the explosions, and the trading of ownership for US black powder factories has been fairly constant. Of course, there are always fewer and fewer factories as we go along. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post