New
Find
Notify
Tools

Show your BPCR Hunts!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Post up your successfull BPCR hunting exploits. Make sure to mention the rifle, load, distance, and any other factors.

Sharpsguy sent me some pix to post of past adventures.

A meat Elk taken in Texas with a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 using a Round Nose Paper-patched 510 gr bullet. The shot was 80 yards, and resulted in a compete pass-through, 1-shot kill.

This Impala was shot in South Africa as the animal was running diagonally away. The load was a 480gr flat-nose Greaser, and the bullet entered the rear hip and exited the front shoulder and kept on going. Another 1-shot kill at 80 yards.

This Gemsbok was shot at a lasered 196 yards with a Shiloh 45-110 and a paper-patched 510gr bullet which passed thru the thick hide and neck bones resulting in an instant and humane harvest.

This young Bison was taken for the freezer in Texas with a Shiloh 45-110 and a paper-patched 515gr round nose bullet, resulting in a complete pass-through and kill at 96 yards.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Here is the bull bison shot with the 4-bore. RIP's experience with bison is different than mine. The ranch I was on was 60,000 acres and the buff roam free. There was no problem walking up to a herd. I shot a meat bison with a load of Blue Dot and finished him with a load of black when my neck shot missed the spine. The photo here is the second bison, a trophy bull, and the killing shot with the Hughes 4-bore and 440 grains of FFg GOEX and a 1400-grain ball. Not much of a "hunt" really, but fun. In the second pic, you can see the meat animal down.

Oh, why not? Here is the meat bison. My neck shot missed the spine and he was down but not out, I walked up to him and finished him with the same load of FFg. Quite a handful of recoil. A gent filmed the hunt and the pics were taken from his high res video equipment. 1. muzzle flash, 2. smoke, 3. recoil.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, looks like the 4-bore talks pretty load!

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was this past season. The doe was about 100 yards slightly quartering away. She dropped to the shot. The rifle is a Shiloh Sharps 1874 Saddle Rifle .45 2 1/10", 26 inch standard octagon barrel with barrel sights.

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool, now there';s a Sharps made for hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of animals that fell to my .45-70 C. Sharps Arms 1874. It's a "plain Jane" Bridgeport model with 30" barrel and "New Ideal" sporting tang sight.

I took the first shot at about 80 yards and he just stood there like nothing happened. Then a second shot, with no reaction. After the third shot, he still gave no indication of a hit. I wondered if I missed. Then he slowly keeled over. All of the shots hit the heart. He was dead at the first shot but need 2 more to remind him.

I'm embarassed to say that I used 405 grain smokeless factory ammo.

The yearling cow bison was taken at the Sandhills Ranch near Valentine, Nebraska. At the time they specialized in BPCR hunts. One shot in the heart and down she went.

Unfortunately, a 405 grain smokeless factory load was used.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff, now get yourself some BP! :-)