THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    Not too good pice of my 50-70 Springfield
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not too good pice of my 50-70 Springfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

It is 32.5" from crown to the end of the chamber. The lock says 1864. The butt plate has US and 29 stamped on it.
That is all I know about it.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch, looks pretty decent from the outside. I'd sure consider the idea of having Bobby Hoyt of the Freischutz shop in Pennsylvania reline that thing. He is a legend.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck yeah! Looks like somebody polished it up and the stock is not cracked, wood looks very good.
Could be a shooter as is.
If you do get it re-lined, you might consider a metal finish.
A local gun finisher here once Cerakoted a Trapdoor as an advertising gimmick for gunshow displays. tu2

There is more than one way to skin a wildcat.
patriot Riflecrank Incurable Permanente salute

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are the metal finishes needed;
Barrel and cleaning rod; bright.
Bands; rust blued.
Breech block; rust blued.
Lock and hammer; color case hardened.
Butt plate; rust blued.
Trigger Guard; Rust blued.
Stock; Linseed Oil.
Everything but the breech block and it's mounting strap, and cleaning rod, are from a 1863 Springfield, 58 cal, Rifle-Musket.

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Here are the metal finishes needed;
Barrel and cleaning rod; bright.
Bands; rust blued.
Breech block; rust blued.
Lock and hammer; color case hardened.
Butt plate; rust blued.
Trigger Guard; Rust blued.
Stock; Linseed Oil.
Everything but the breech block and it's mounting strap, and cleaning rod, are from a 1863 Springfield, 58 cal, Rifle-Musket.

Thanks,
Tom, you may end up with it to inspect and advise me.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
Looks like previous owner started to get her ready for dpcd to restore to original finishes,
then found out about the bill and got cold feet.
It has beauty potential. tu2

If you put a 3-foot long wooden dowel into the barrel with the breech block closed, how long is the "barrel length in bore?"

As good as she looks on the outside, I wonder if you are not just seeing muzzle wear as poor rifling.
You might be able to get dpcd to crown the muzzle and get a shooter.
I suspect that is why my 50-70 Govt Trapdoors have been bobbed a little at the muzzle, before I got them.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Butch,
Looks like previous owner started to get her ready for dpcd to restore to original finishes,

If you put a 3-foot long wooden dowel into the barrel with the breech block closed, how long is the "barrel length in bore?"

As good as she looks on the outside, I wonder if you are not just seeing muzzle wear as poor rifling.
I suspect that is why my 50-70 Govt Trapdoors have been bobbed a little at the muzzle, before I got them.

The previous owner doesn't know Tom. I talked to Bobby Hoyt at the shop in Pa. that Bill recommended. After a lot of talking to Bobby, he said it was a very early conversion. The block was attached with 2 screws to the barrel. The Trap Door had 1866 stamped in it. He said he wouldn't dare refurb it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Butch,

The previous owner doesn't know Tom. I talked to Bobby Hoyt at the shop in Pa. that Bill recommended. After a lot of talking to Bobby, he said it was a very early conversion. The block that hinged to the Trap Door was attached with 2 screws to the barrel. The Trap Door had 1866 stamped in it. He said he wouldn't dare refurb it.