THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    How many here still shoot black powder cartridge rifles?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many here still shoot black powder cartridge rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure love shooting them. The smell, the smoke, flame, tinkering, etc.

I took my 1870s 10-bore DR out yesterday for the first time in a while. I'd been reluctant to shoot it lately due to running out of 3/8" felt wads and the former manufacturer discontinuing them. I punched out and lubed bunch of 5/8"ones from some felt I had in the mean time to try to come up with a replacement load.

Here are the first 4 shots at 40 yard. First two are the old load (touching, about 1.5" high and 1" left). Next two with a 1/4" shorter wad column touching about 4.5" high, both 700gn balls over 120gn of Swiss 3F. (ignore the 4 50cal holes near top of target)

By far this is the most accurate of my doubles (and the oldest, those guys knew what they were doing) and also the most fun to shoot. Replacement load was good but not this good, so I'm looking for 3/8"felt!

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, that is just awesome. I used to shoot a very similar load in the Pedersoli Kodiak double in .72. Miss that old boomer.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16337 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
...so I'm looking for 3/8"felt!

This place should surely have something for you.

https://www.thefeltcompany.com...3-8-thick-x-60-wide/

Posts: 3235 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post