THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    How many here still shoot black powder cartridge rifles?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many here still shoot black powder cartridge rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not bad at all.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still do and love the BP cartridge guns. I am currently waiting on a Shiloh .50-90 Hartford from Bill Goodman

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pacecars, I believe Bill Goodman may just be the antichrist ...

Wink

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Pacecars, I believe Bill Goodman may just be the antichrist ...

Wink

He has cost me a lot of money! I really should take him off speed dial, lose his email address and block his website! Of course he has saved me a lot of time

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pacecars,
you and I are in the same boat....except I'm waiting on a 45/70....to replace the one I traded last year for a Alex Henry double .450 express.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine should be in around mid June. This is my 5th one from him and the 2nd new one ordered through him, the other 3 were used in excellent shape.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine should have been ready this month, I ordered it in October. this will be my 3rd Shiloh. Bought my 1st one new in 1992 from Hunters Rendezvous, the second I ordered through Bill in 2009 and now this latest one. Cant seem to be without a Shiloh for too long. Great rifles.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love them. I wish I had the money to keep them all. I want to try a Ballard but that is all I need is another expensive gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Um.....what does need have to do with our weakness? Go for it while you can still enjoy it.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
pacecars,
you and I are in the same boat....except I'm waiting on a 45/70....to replace the one I traded last year for a Alex Henry double .450 express.

Nice, I've killed two deer and a pig with your old 8-Bore rifle, the first deer was a basket racked 10pt that needed culling, butcher buddy called and ask me if I ran a rock bar through that buck ' ]
He has of course seen 12ga shotgun slug holes, holes blown through deer with high velocity rifle fire, but hadn't seen a clean hole cut that big, after I told him what I hit the buck with, he said, son you aint right!

Posts: 789 | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL....good on you Jerry! I've often wondered what that 8 bore had been up to. Glad to hear you're using it the way it was meant to be used.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL....good on you Jerry! I've often wondered what that 8 bore had been up to. Glad to hear you're using it the way it was meant to be used.

You bet degoins, the buck mentioned earlier was facing West when I hit him though the shoulders firing dew North, one would think when he fell I'd be looking at his hooves, I was looking at his backline, that 8 Bore ball bowled him over, not a twitch.

The doe was hit at 15 yards through the shoulder on a hard quartering in angle, ball exited right ham out back, again, drop, not a twitch, the pig got knocked over at 30 yards with a through and through double shoulder hit, his back legs bicycled 100 mph for a few seconds, he never got up.

I really need to take that thing up North for a Bull Moose hunt, I don't believe even an 1800 lb Bullwinkle could contain one of those balls. Cool

Posts: 789 | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have decided to sell most of my double rifle collection. 10 sold last year and more to go this year. I am retaining 1-2 nitro doubles and several more black powder hammer and under lever doubles. I really prefer the bpe doubles and if I needed to makea choice the bpe would get the nod.

While not an express rifle, this summer I will take a Rodda 4-bore for buffalo and am toying with the idea of bringing a .50-95 Winchester model 1876 for plains game (engraved on the barrel is a note that Holland and Holland put on the sights and regualted it).

Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal, you are a fortunate guy to have -- and to have had -- such wide experience with the doubles.
I certainly understand your fondness for the BP doubles. Whenever I feel down, I dig out old Samuel Baker's "Wild Beasts and Their Ways."
Dependable tonic for what ails.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry mcdonald:
quote:

You bet degoins, the buck mentioned earlier was facing West when I hit him though the shoulders firing dew North, one would think when he fell I'd be looking at his hooves, I was looking at his backline, that 8 Bore ball bowled him over, not a twitch.

The doe was hit at 15 yards through the shoulder on a hard quartering in angle, ball exited right ham out back, again, drop, not a twitch, the pig got knocked over at 30 yards with a through and through double shoulder hit, his back legs bicycled 100 mph for a few seconds, he never got up.

I really need to take that thing up North for a Bull Moose hunt, I don't believe even an 1800 lb Bullwinkle could contain one of those balls. Cool

Great stories Jerry!! By all means go kill a moose with that bad boy.....and of course give us report with pictures.

When I had that rifle, I found it easy to carry and not bad at all to shoot...even from the bench.

DRSS