THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    How many here still shoot black powder cartridge rifles?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many here still shoot black powder cartridge rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do!

Colt SAA 45

Sharps, original '74 Bridgeport Ct. rifle.
45-110

Shiloh Sharps
40-65
44-77
45-70
45-110
45-120

C-Sharps
two 50-90's one 12lb hunting rifle, and one 16lb bull barrel rifle.

Turnbull
'86 Winchester 50-110 WCF

Original '86 Winchesters
40-65
45-70

Steve Zihn 8 Bore percussion rifle
Mike Adcock 58 cal Hawken plains rifle

I love the stuff.

Posts: 789 | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal, Jerry, great to hear you are on board with black powder!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Schuetzen in my .25-20 SS and 30-30 Wesson as well as 38-55, 40-65 and 45-70 BPCR's.

Posts: 2745 | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot several .40 & .45 caliber single shot rifles routinely in BPCR Silhouette matches in TX, NM, OK, and GA. Real black powder and cast bullets exclusively now, although I shot a fair amount of SR4759 in the '80's and more recently took two trips to South Africa with different Sharps rifles loaded with 5744.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch -- oooh, schuetzen cartridges!
Clarence, you're a serious shooter. Where do you shoot in New Mexico?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Cal, Jerry, great to hear you are on board with black powder!

Thanks Bill, it remains my pleasure, I realize I got a little carried away and added the revolver and a couple muzzle loaders, but, in my humble opinion, there isn't a better propellant for either, something about an old Colt SAA firing black powder, a 4 foot flame out the front, with two twin 2 footers out the sides provides more fun than should be legal! Cool

Also, a lead pistol bullet you mixed alloy for, then cast, sized and lubed yourself weighing 272 grains and clocking 988 fps across the screens is anything but a weak sister ; ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, that is some very fine performance you are getting out of your .45 Colt BP handload!
Care to share the details on your bullet and powder?

Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bet Bill, my mould has SB on it, I presume it to be a custom Steve Brooks mould, it is a .454" plain base nose pour, has three grease grooves and is a round nose with about a 180 thou meplat, I don't use a wad of any kind and pour 40+ grains of Old Eynsford 3F through a drop tube into W-W cases, light it all up with WLP primers.

Cast with 16 to 1 alloy it has never hinted at leading the bore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, sounds like an exceptionally useful load. Thanks for sharing the details.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning 1885 BPCR 45-70
1871 Mauser 11.15x60
Remington RB 1905 38-55
1867 Danish RB 11.7x56R
2 Trapdoor Springfields 45-70
TC Hawken 50cal

Also had a Springfield 1st Allin conversion in 58-60 Rimfire that I loaded for and shot as well. It now has a new home.

Fun stuff.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill/Oregon, just picked up a Van Horn .40 cal barrel with false muzzle today. Going on a Winchester Helm pattern dbl set Schuetzen and will be shooting cross patched and paper patched 300 grainers and 1 1/2 Schuetzen black.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, what a wonderful collection you have there. Still shooting at the Redwood range (I may have misremembered)?
Dutch, you simply have to show us photos when you get that rifle assembled and shooting!

beer

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do Bill/O. I used to shoot against Steve Garbe with my Ballard Rifle Co. Helm HiWall 30-30 Wesson and black while Steve used a Ballard 38-55 and black, of course, at 200 yards. This was at Raton when we would have the Schuetzen matches at the same time as the BPCR matches. You could shoot both then. We shot for a dollar a round. Steve always won. Shooting off-hand Steve and I would shoot his Ballard 38-55 and I would use his rifle as well. This was at 200 yards. Steve always won but one time I tied him. I had Ballard Rifle Co. make me an identical Ballard in 38-55.

One year Jack Oder, Steve Garbe, Keith Kilby, and I shot a string match there at 200 yards. I came in 4th, but just lost by 1 1/2 inches from 3d place. Great fun. That was some years ago and was a great time in my life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill/O,

I love the smell of black powdersmoke in the morning ! Still shooting @ RGC.

http://redwoodgunclub.org/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot these BP Express Double Rifles I own:
2 Holland and Holland 500 3 1/4" BPE 140 gr 2F
2 Holland and Holland 450 3 1/4" BPE 120 gr 2F
1 John Rigby 450 3 1/4" BPE 110 gr 2F
1 Cogswell and Harrison BPE 120 gr 2 F
Lever gun:
1 1886 Winchester 45-70 made in 1891

Posts: 30 | Registered: 15 July 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post