New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fair Chase Bison Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm starting to look into Bison hunts with my Sharps. Has anyone used a ranch that offers fair chase and wary Buff? I don't want a spot-walk up-shoot type of hunt. Here's a couple I've noted in a search.

http://www.trophybuffalohunt.com/pricing.html

http://www.thbison.com/

http://www.junipermountain.net

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Comstock in Sargent Nebraska:

http://www.comstocklodge.com/

I went there about 10 years ago.
Truly great for what it is.
The bison were skittish and wary, inside the 4000-acre high-fenced ranch/game farm of rolling hills.
Luxury accommodations.
Beautiful Nebraska countryside ...

http://www.comstocklodge.com/s...bison-meat-hunts.htm
2014 Buffalo Meat hunts 1000lbs to 1,600 lbs

"One hunter and one non hunter

3 nights lodging in private room/ 2 days hunting on 4,000 acre private ranch

all meals and drinks

Buffalo dress skinned and quartered ready for transportation home to your own butcher.

Not included:

Tax

Taxidermy

gratuitys

Sorry sold out but taking names for waiting list !!!!!!!!!

Call 308-527-4199 to book this special"

Here is my 1300-pound meat bison in the corner of my reloading den, what is left of him, the rest was digested by many, yum!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon, don't overlook Ted Turner's ranches in Nebraska.
Also, this might be worth a look:

http://www.sandhillsoutfitters...buffalo_%20hunts.htm

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, yes, some of these places are sold out way in advance. RIP, does Billy Dixon know you have his rifle? :-)

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Turner's operation involves quite a number of ranchs. I emailed the property manager asking about a recommended ranch for free-range Bison, with opportunities for both Meat and Trophy hunts, and the costs. See what he says.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to Kansas twice, with Lee Hawes. You ride horses out to find the herd and then you dismount them to sneak up on the buff; they can't count legs it seems. Or you sneak up through draws to get close. You sleep in a dugout or teepee. Cooking is done over buffalo chips (I didn't believe it but they burn hot with a blue flame). Lots of fun. He only allows BP with lead bullets. There is no electricity in camp; you think you are in 1870. (except for the toyota truck he keeps on hand for safety reasons.)

Posts: 17018 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turner has several ranches outside West Yellowstone, Only one the Flying D would be fair chase. This ranch looks like little Yellowstone ranch and is roughly 10 x 20 miles in size.
I took a trophy Bull back in 2004. He has roughly 4000 head on this property, he herds off a certain amount to the other ranches which would be considered high fence for culling purposes.

You will hunt with one of his guides to insure no one gets hurt or wounding of animals. Buffalo fears very few things so they are fairly easy to stalk up to provided you find them.
I took mine with a 45-70 loaded to historic loading. The scenery is unbelievable. I believe he has put in a big lodge since I was there.

We have a member on this forum that books on this property, I forgot his handle but his guide company is Cowboy heaven out of montana
http://www.cowboyhvn.com/[URL= ][

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could hunt "My" bison. The only absolutely free range plains bison herd in their historic range in Canada walk across my place whenever they feel like it. They might as well be on mars.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there are a couple of good options I need to check on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

Good thread as a reference for buffalo shooting destinations, well done again. tu2

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
... RIP, does Billy Dixon know you have his rifle? :-)

Nah, you know Billy Dixon was most probably using a Sharps rifle chambered for 50-90, on that day in 1874,
but it could have been a 50-70, the historical record is not certain.
Archeologic digs there turned up both 50-70 and 50-90 brass, but more 50-70.
He was using a borrowed rifle, the saloon keeper's rifle, borrowed it when his ammo ran low for the .44-77 or .44-90 that he had been using.
So in the record, a fifty was a fifty and a fourty-four was a forty-four, no more specific on the chamberings ...

Actually my 50-70 Govt. Springfield Trapdoor is one that was picked up by Crazy Horse at the battle of Little Big Horn, from a dead trooper of the 7th.
Just like the one Buffalo Bill made his name with, and to which he gave the name "Lucretia Borgia."
But Crazy Horse added the decorative brass tacks and a braided lock of his hair for both decoration and use as a wind gage.
He was half white and had brown hair, they called him "Curly" in his younger years.

It is not really a lock of the hair of Lucretia Borgia, the deadly Italian hussy.
I just say that for fun, just like Buffalo Bill did.
I doubt Crazy Horse ever met Lucretia Borgia, much less got a lock of her hair.
Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP, getting it done with a trapdoor in .50-70 is a class act. I have a Husqvarna rolling block in that caliber that I would love to "apply" to a meat bison. Prices have gone up quite a bit in the last 10-12 years.
Biebs, I'd be happy to send you a copy of an article written on bison hunting for SPG BlackPowder News some years ago by a guy who was managing one of Turner's ranches. A lot of first-hand observations in the piece. PM me if interested.
Bill

– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, there's a .45-70 Trapdoor in the classifieds. Just sayin' ...

Cool

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
That's the goal, 50-70 Trapdoor for bison meat shoot. tu2

May I get your buffalo hunting article also?
I finished my last bison meat last month, and am getting hungry. Wink

About tempting me with Trapdoors:
Not to worry, I have the sister to Lucretia Borgia in 50-70 also but the lock plate has 1865 instead of 1864 like on Lucretia.
And my 1865 model Springfield percussion "Second Allin Conversion" to Trapdoor centerfire looks to be in better shape externally than Lucretia.
She is next after I try to blow up Lucretia with a string and a rubber tire test with BP.

I also have an original, Springfield 1873 Trapdoor "Model 1888 Ramrod Bayonet Rifle with Buffington Sight and Butt Trap" that was made in
Jan-Mar 1891, by serial number.
Low Tech Assault Rifle, even for 1891, 45-70 Govt. of course.

And my latest is a Pedersoli Trapdoor carbine 45-70.

50-70 BP loading supplies are in the mail. Rusty is holding a pound of Goex FFg for me.
First I gotta pull the trigger string on Lucretia.

But you know about the 400 Whelen monster thread you started on the Big Bore Forum.
I must shoot 400 Whelen Petrov Berry 2014 loads before I do 50-70 BP testing. Gotta have priorities, so many toys, so little time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to add facts to this but the Borgia family was Spanish not Italian !! Eeker
They later went back to Spain . dancing

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP, I understand about too many projects. Just ordered a Winroku takedown M1895 in .405 this afternoon.

hilbily

– John Green, author