New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading screw up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was in the middle of swaging out peened case lips using a Lyman neck sizing die and a pin gauge. It’s a good technique which you can read about at http://www.texas-mac.com/Remov...Peened_LIp_Edge.html. About half way through 200 cases everything was going smooth until the necks came out of the die with lots of scratches. Although the cases were clean, they were stored in a cartridge box with the necks down. I forgot to wipe each one to eliminate any grit on the necks prior to inserting in the die. Apparently one picked up some grit which embedded in the die. After polishing out the die with 1200 grit emery and finishing with jeweler’s rouge I was back in business. So be sure to wipe those cases prior to resizing.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice. I sometimes forget to wipe a case, no scratches, lucky I guess.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I scratched a couple dies too.

Lee's: polished it out and sent the same one back.
RCBS replaced the die N/C.

That's why I've run all empties thru the shaker
since.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post