THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    U.S. Benicia Arsenal 1883 Powder Measure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Benicia Arsenal 1883 Powder Measure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What was the army doing with powder measures? Did they reload for a shooting team or did they make these and sell them to the public? I don't think they would reload their own cartridges while on campaign. I bought this at an estate sale in Jacksboro, Texas and might have come from Fort Richardson. Did a lot of looking online but haven't found any information yet.

Posts: 978 | Registered: 20 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used at the Arsenal for loading cartridges; not in the field. The 45-70 was the Infantry cartridge then and our only enemy was Indians. Which is why we were many years behind Europe in adopting a modern rifle, but that is another thing.
Production of things were not as automated then, as now, even though this was in the height of the Industrial Revolution. I can see rows of girls and young women sitting, making ammo.
Now that I think about it; they might actually have reloaded ammo in Garrison as well. Saving money was big then.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought they might have had some type of reloading machine even back then

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom is right. No doubt it is for reloading .45-70 Government shells for the Springfield. That's a really lovely find.
I have ancestral ties to Jacksboro, and our good friend Lane has very close family ties to it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both.