THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    Comparison of Starline, Remington & Winchester .45-70 Brass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparison of Starline, Remington & Winchester .45-70 Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,

Here’s everything I know about Starline, Remington & Winchester .45-70 brass. Based on the photo and dimensions you can see why Winchester carries more capacity. Note the difference in wall thickness and the relatively sharp transition from the solid head to the walls. Also note that Rem. has slightly thicker walls than Starline. The main reason why Starline has less capacity than Remington is the design of how the head transitions to the web region. Since a Starline case weighs more than Rem. case but has slightly thinner walls, the weight difference is in the head.

BTW, I always deburr the primer hole in my Remington brass. Based on what I found when sectioning the cases, I’d definitely recommend deburring Win. cases. I checked several Win. new cases and the burrs in all were significantly worse than Remington or Starline. Notice the ridge sticking up in the primer hole in the Win. case. It extended 3/4 of the way around the hole. Based on what I found, Starline may not benefit from deburring.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne; is there any chance you might cut into an R-P and starline case that have been stretched with the Kal-Max stretcher. Kind of wonder how thin and where those cases give up the brass.

Posts: 26 | Registered: 20 May 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I know where cases stretched with the Kal-Max unit gives up the brass. Check out the article I wrote some time ago at the link below. How, thin? It depends on the amount of stretching, which is adjustable to some extent with the Kal-Max.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Stret...ur_BPCR_Chamber.html

BTW, I sold the Kal-Max and don't have any more of the Rem. stretched brass and I never tried stretching Starline.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to really like the Starline a lot more.

Then those tightasses stopped annealing their brass a couple years ago.

Is it still unannealed?

ISS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Then those tightasses stopped annealing their brass a couple years ago.
Is it still unannealed?
ISS

Yes, it still requires annealing otherwise blow-back around the case is likely along with premature splitting. Plus annealing makes it easier to resize.

Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that Wayne. Appreciate the detailed data.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16337 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post