The Accurate Reloading Forums
Comparison of Starline, Remington & Winchester .45-70 Brass

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5031007002/m/5281067802

26 February 2015, 00:33
TexasMac
Comparison of Starline, Remington & Winchester .45-70 Brass
Hey guys,

Here’s everything I know about Starline, Remington & Winchester .45-70 brass. Based on the photo and dimensions you can see why Winchester carries more capacity. Note the difference in wall thickness and the relatively sharp transition from the solid head to the walls. Also note that Rem. has slightly thicker walls than Starline. The main reason why Starline has less capacity than Remington is the design of how the head transitions to the web region. Since a Starline case weighs more than Rem. case but has slightly thinner walls, the weight difference is in the head.

BTW, I always deburr the primer hole in my Remington brass. Based on what I found when sectioning the cases, I’d definitely recommend deburring Win. cases. I checked several Win. new cases and the burrs in all were significantly worse than Remington or Starline. Notice the ridge sticking up in the primer hole in the Win. case. It extended 3/4 of the way around the hole. Based on what I found, Starline may not benefit from deburring.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.
28 February 2015, 02:53
larry bryant
Wayne; is there any chance you might cut into an R-P and starline case that have been stretched with the Kal-Max stretcher. Kind of wonder how thin and where those cases give up the brass.
28 February 2015, 06:05
TexasMac
Larry,

I know where cases stretched with the Kal-Max unit gives up the brass. Check out the article I wrote some time ago at the link below. How, thin? It depends on the amount of stretching, which is adjustable to some extent with the Kal-Max.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Stret...ur_BPCR_Chamber.html

BTW, I sold the Kal-Max and don't have any more of the Rem. stretched brass and I never tried stretching Starline.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.
02 March 2015, 10:43
Idaho Sharpshooter
I used to really like the Starline a lot more.

Then those tightasses stopped annealing their brass a couple years ago.

Is it still unannealed?

ISS
02 March 2015, 18:54
TexasMac
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Then those tightasses stopped annealing their brass a couple years ago.
Is it still unannealed?
ISS

Yes, it still requires annealing otherwise blow-back around the case is likely along with premature splitting. Plus annealing makes it easier to resize.

Wayne

02 March 2015, 19:03
Bill/Oregon
Thanks for posting that Wayne. Appreciate the detailed data.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author