New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEE moulds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone use LEE moulds with their BPCR ? or prefer custom moulds from other manufacturers ? being inexpensive wondered if any BPCR shooters have had good success with them ?
Thankyou

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Lee round ball moulds and they work real good if that helps

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worn out 2 Lee 459HB moulds.
I use the Lee 515 450gr for my Swedish RB.
And i have several others that is used from time to time.

Custom is good when you need to match an odd bore, i got 6 moulds from accuratemolds.com that works a treat.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 44 caliber for several 44-40's for CAS. Along with the 44, a 45/70 300 grain and a 500 grain .512 for 50-110 Winchester. I use a baggie and the Lee tumble lube. They all shoot just fine.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Lee molds and have had custom molds made by them but they are not cheap on custom designs.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a look at NOE if you are looking for a wider selection as far as dimensions in a caliber. For 30 caliber, they offer several classic designs from 308/310/311/312/314/316. Many are available from 1-5 cavity, and you can mix solids and HP in one mold, and different diameters.

Personally, I think they are a better mold.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What The Dane said... in my estimation, you get what you pay for. I have no use for Lee moulds; there is not enough meat there to carry the heat, and their six cavity moulds have a lot to be desired in consistency between cavities.

I once had a six cavity 38 TL wadcutter mould from Lee that dropped projectiles so large I had to run the loaded rounds back through a sizer die with the de-capping stem removed so they would chamber.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a less-than-scientific caster who uses mystery range scrap for most tasks, I have found Lee molds generally serve my needs pretty well.
Absolutely agree with Rich, however, that Swede Nelson's NOE molds area in a whole different league. Wonderful molds!
I just got another one -- the .363 200 RN -- to cast bullets for the .38/200 Mk. I Manstopper loads I plan to feed my Australian Lend-Lease Colt.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
I use the Lee 515 450gr for my Swedish RB.

I use the same mold for my 12mm Swedes; with very good results.

What I have found to be important with Lee moulds is to follow the instructions for lubing them; and even lubing them during use.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee moulds have their place.

If you just want to try a syle or type or only need a few use a Lee. If you are just starting out casting a Lee moulds are good training aids and a lot less coslty when (not if) you mess one up. If you are on a tight budget Lee will let you cast bullets. Sometimes they are your best source - the 405gr 45 hollow base and the 450gr .515 for the .45-70 and 50-70 Trapdoor is another.

Sure the moulds are light weight and rather cheaply made but they do cast useable bullets.

Jerry Liles

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whether Lee molds figure in your future depends on what level of accuracy you need.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
Does anyone use LEE moulds with their BPCR ? or prefer custom moulds from other manufacturers ? being inexpensive wondered if any BPCR shooters have had good success with them ?
Thankyou

Both Lee & Accurate are made from aluminum , I have more Lee than any other No complaints

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of lyman molds and a lot of lee molds I use my lee molds more

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both Lee & Accurate are made from aluminum

Accurate will let you choose the material for the moulds. Lee is aluminum or nothing...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried out a Lee 457-405-F [to get some practise]mould using a Lee production pot and some 22 rimfire lead projs someone gave me years ago ,nearly ever one I cast was knurled or round based ,so remelted the whole lot and tried again, someone on the net suggested giving the mould a mild polish with tooth paste ,so I cleaned the mould again ,washed it, re smoked it .with the pot on high, I tried holding the mould directly against the pour and only moving it away at the last moment, and got perfect bullets nearly every time, the rear cavity had to be more careful with to get good bullets ,see how they shoot when I get my rifle and some better lead

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post