New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious as to the date of the invention of the percussions system, when it it became 1st used , + when it became the nom de guerre of its day. I do know that the Colt Patterson used that system in 1836 while we were still using flintlock rifles as well as the periodic use in the Napoleonic/ Peninsular wars, circa 1803-1815 that also used flintlocks but on occasion, expensive percussion dealing pistols. Thus my interest. Any input would be appreciated.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy, the roots of the system were developed by 1807, the percussion cap about 1820:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percussion_cap

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill. That has been a question I have wondered on for some time. Just as the Colt Patterson was "invented/produced" in 1836, there has been tales told of there being one at the Alamo (March 1836), if so it traveled a great distance to be there at that time. What an invovative weapon for the time.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy, my understanding is that the Patterson was a game-changer for the Rangers vs. the Comanches. Apparently it came as a huge surprise, just as did the .50-70 Trapdoor in the Wagon Box Fight in 1867.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you are SO correct. When Jack (Coffee) Hays encountered the Comanches armed with Patterson's; although outnumbered physically, they outnumbered them in rapid firepower. Their rapidity in reloading was a cylinder change on horse back; God love em, I'd be sore pressed. But they did the trick until the 1847 Walker + brother, that REALLY changed the game. That right there was the Rangers triumph + the Comanchese's demise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, the 1st occurence was at Plum Creek, just outside of Austin but there were many in the area where I live. A wagon train massacre just about 5 miles east of me on the Gabriel River + just to the south of me about 4 miles was the "last Comanche raid" in this area in 1863 in what was the community of Hopewell. There are some great historical tales told in the book "The History Of Williamaon County" by Clara Yarborough; even more interesting when it is a history of where you now live, right on top!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy:

Just think how much quicker things would have changed
if all 1000 Walkers were provided to the troops and that ? officer hadn't interfered with Walkers request and cut back to 500 guns.

I have a copy. Lotta fun to shoot. 50grs.

I learned quick those old timers were not as ill
armed as I figured. those old single shot pistols
Are quite powerful. M first was a 5".45. Wasn't too long until I was putting RB's in a 2' sq target at 100yards one handed off hand. then I started shooting cast pistol bullets instead of the RB's.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No kidding, + the anti-gunners want to classify them as non-guns. Hell, yes. Look at what those non-guns did at Waterloo + Gettysburg. Even with modern medicine, save me from being shot by one. I have a buddy who does the gun shows + an elderly gent came in with a revolver wanting info; not to sell. Seems his father was in a work project in the early 1900s when they were re-dredging the river of the Colorado around Austin + were allowed to keep anything they found. His dad found + brought to Leo a 1847 Colt Walker SER# 469. The grips were gone and, although still loaded, was obviously inert. Just a miracle that the SER.# was still there. Another of those tales of "If only that item could talk".

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a find! Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I'll have to tell you more of some of Leo's tales + escapades over his long life, when we can find the time. He was a saddle maker that worked for Buck Steiner at Capital Saddlery in the 60s before going into business for himself doing all forms of leather work to supplement his ranching. A great friend + all around wonderful person.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post