THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    Trapdoor Springfield accuracy limiting factors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trapdoor Springfield accuracy limiting factors
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With very careful bullet and load workup and an aggressive fouling control regime, the Trapdoor Springfield can be made to shoot very satisfactorily, but it rarely appears in the winner's circle in black powder cartridge target disciplines that allow other designs. (a 200-yard military match limited to just Trapdoors can be a hoot.)
Why is this?
Several reasons:
1. Compared to rifles fitted with Vernier tang sights and globe fronts with spirit levels and inserts, even the fine Buffington sight on the 1884 is crude by comparison, although careful adjustment measurements with the latter can yield a table of corrections that can keep you in the game. There is an ingenious article on this out there somewhere that I have lost track of.
2. Military trigger. No two ways about it -- a single-stage military trigger can't compete with a double set trigger with a let-off of only a couple of pounds.
3. Heavy hammer fall. The Sharps can't be too far behind in this department and the High-Wall and Ballard are way ahead.
4. Barrel specifications. Land and groove diameters can vary significantly and can be well over .460, making fine accuracy unacheivable with the usual .458 - .459-.460 molds widely offered for the .45-70. Slugging the bore of a Trapdoor before ordering a mold is absolutely mandatory for a happy result.
The other sad reality of the Trapdoor is that the Army developed barrel specs based on the original load that featured a 400-grain bullet, with the result that all .45-70 Trapdoors come with 1:22 twist barrels. While a 400-grain bullet out of a 1:22 barrel might be fine for combat on the Plains, modern riflemen win long range matches with 1:18 or even 1:16 twist barrels and highly aerodynamic bullets weighing up to 550 grains.
The Trapdoor simply cannot keep up with such rifles beyond about 200 yards -- and certainly not out to 1,000.
It would seem, then, that the Trapdoor is bound to lose in the hands of even the finest rifleman at distance, as it is really apples vs. oranges. But pitted against other Trapdoors in a dedicated BPCR military match, the old trooper can be made to sing.
Any thoughts from other Trapdoor enthusiasts out there?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Military Marksmanship of the 19th century fell behind what the target shooters were doing due to the old mentality of a lack of emphasis on the individual rifleman. As for the bullets, they did go to a 500 grain bullet in the 45-70 as it was found that the 400 grain would not penetrate a horse's body at 500 yards. Trapdoors do suffer when compared to anything else, but remember, they were not even designed as such; they were an alteration of 1863 rifle muskets so they could use the old parts. Later of course, they were all new parts, but no new designs. They are combat rifles, made for volley fire; trying to make them into target rifles is futile. Just shoot them for what they are.

Posts: 17093 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dpcd speaks truth. Shoot them for what they are. And they are tons of fun. As you mentioned Bill, bullet size is critical. I have two of them and I do what I can to make a very plump slug. That said my one made in the 1870s shoots quite well. The one from the 80s not so well. My son is so enamored with the older one it will see a hog hunt later this year.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are combat rifles, made for volley fire; trying to make them into target rifles is futile.

Tom, this is waving a red cape in the face of the true rifle crank!

Wink

– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No harm in trying though....
Remember, the original bullets had hollow bases and were soft lead, which bumped up and fit the bore, no matter what size it was.

Posts: 17093 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Bill,all things being equal I am most pleased with the one I bought from you.But then too I went into it with my eyes wide open;this is not an Anschutz nor was it intended to be. It is a fun gun to shoot.Who could ask for anything more?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy, glad you are still having fun with that Springfield. I don't know how many I have owned over the years. They are not as "Bill-friendly" as they used to be. I have tremendous respect for the Buffington sight, but can hardly see it any more.
Tom, you are right about the HB bullet. Spence Wolf talks about this in detail in his book. I have used the cheap Lee 405-HB mold and soft alloy with pretty good results. Not so sure about Spence's recommendation to drill out flash holes, etc.
Ned Roberts found the 500-grain bullet "more consistent" at 200 and 300 yards than the 405 when shooting for the New Hampshire National Guard, and developed a great deal of respect for the Trapdoor, which he began shooting in 1883.
"I made Fifth place on the state team, and at Creedmoor that fall we did good shooting, but were beaten by the expert military marksmen with their special Springfield rifles equipped with Buffington sights. They were also better judges of wind than we were," he wrote.
"During the target season of 1888, I re-qualified as 3rd, 2nd and 1st Class Marksman and Distinguished Marksman with considerably higher scores than the year before, but was unable to qualify as a Sharpshooter because we did not have a 1,000-yard range at Goffstown (N.H.)."

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I shoot 405's in mine, they too are cast 1/20 from the Lee mold. Lube is 50/50 beeswax and olive oil. Never drilled out a flash hole though.

Awfully fun shooting silhouette with BP loads. Kinda upsets the other shooters. Cool

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recent SE Regional Match, held at the Riverbed Gun Cub, had a separate class for Springfields, since more than 5 competitors shot them. Although not fully competitive with the other single shots with heavier barrels and better sights, they gave a very good account of themselves and turned in very respectable scores, even at 600 yds.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post