New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spencer carbine hunting loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got one of the Armi-Sports in .56-50 and load a 350-grain .515 bullet over about 35 grains of black in Starline .56-50 brass. I haven't recently chronographed these, but expect something in the 900s for speed.
Another Spencer shooter mentioned he is using Magtech 32-gauge brass shotshells, appropriately shortened, and gaining 5-10 grains more powder space. Look forward to working up some heavier hunting loads with the the 32-gauge brass -- for possible deployment at cow elk under 100 yards this winter.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whaaat? I thought sure there would be dozens of Spencer shooters here!

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I had one.
Just load it full of black powder; you know how to do it. Whatever brass you have.

Posts: 17040 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, yes, I can get about 35 grains of Old Eynesford FFg into the Starline case under a 350-grain bullet, with moderate compression. Ordered two boxes of the Magtech 32-gauge stuff and can't wait to trim some to length and measure water capacity. The Starline holds 48.3 grains, if anyone cares.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those unfamiliar with the .56-50 Spencer, it is essentially the stubby older brother of the .50-70 Government. that's a 350-grain .515 slug next to it.

fullsizeoutput_1014 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 32 Gauge Magtech brass arrived. I trimmed one and checked water capacity -- 57 grains vs. 48.3 in the Starline for a 15 percent gain.
The Starline brass has a solid web at the case head, vs. very much like the old balloon-head case web in the Magtech shotgun brass. I expect the latter to be just fine with compressed BP for hunting loads.
The meplat on that 350-grain .515 slug is .31. Wish it were larger, but that's still not bad.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hold the phone on the case capacities. I full-length sized both the Magtech case and the once-fired Starline .56-50 case in an RCBS die. Resulting water capacities are 45.5 grains for the Starline and 53.7 for the Magtech -- a very useful 18 percent increase.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...
Let's see the friggin rifle!!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heh.
fullsizeoutput_e43 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are cool!
How are they for cleaning? Always wondered about that.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not bad, in my experience.

– John Green, author

posted Hide Post
Whose mold for the bullet? I'm looking to load for my 1865 Spencer.

Al

Posts: 33 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trying to recall. It's not the Lee 450. Will report if and when it comes to me, but I am getting to be an old fart ...

old

– John Green, author