New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corrosion in Black Powder Measure
 Login/Join

posted
Team,

I use an old Ideal 55 measure for black powder since I recently started loading 45~70. I took it off the shelf to use the other day and found I couldn’t turn the metering cylinder. I removed the cylinder with some difficulty and found rust on the cast iron body behind the cylinder, preventing it from turning. Cleaned it up, polished everything and got it back in service.

However, I was not aware that BP (some old Elephant FF) was either corrosive or hygroscopic. I guess for now I’ll disassemble and was wash and dry it after use. I would appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks and warmest regards,
Jeff

Posts: 12 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, cast iron (or anything that sparks) should not be used with black powder. I use the new Lyman which is all aluminum and brass.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I considered static when I started using the Ideal measure, but since the measure has a brass measuring drum in the cast iron body I didn’t think the potential significant. Also, I replaced the plastic powder reservoir with a brass one from Buffalo Arms.

After I posted I found a old manual online that talks about the use of BP in the Ideal 55. It mentions the possibility of corrosion and suggests disassembling the measure and wiping off the body and drum with a damp cloth after use, so that’s what I will do in the future. Also, the drum has a scale for BP grains and drams. All of this indicates that use with BP was expected.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate you.

Best, Jeff

Posts: 12 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post