New
Find
Notify
Tools

BPCR-Ideas on Getting Started
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As is the norm when I get a new interest in a rifle, I've been poring over the forums, reviews, and anything else related to the sport of BPCR. I thought I'd pass on a few ideas I have in getting started on the cheap.

Shiloh Sharps rifles are generally regarded as the Holy Grail of BPCR rifles...the craftsmanship is exquisite, the authenticity exact, and the potential accuracy unmatched. But that comes at a cost of $2,200 to $4,000, or whatever you want to spend above that. If you want to get a taste of the sport without that kind of initial investment, I have a few ideas.

Harrington and Richardson makes their 1871 Buffalo Classic in 45-70. It comes with a rear peep sight, a good heavy barrel, is made in 45-70, and costs only $300-$400 on the web. They are purported to be quite accurate.

There are a number of replica Sharps rifle made by various Italian firms. From what I hear and read, the Pedersoli is the best, from a quality and accuracy standpoint. Unfortunately, the price of Pedersoli Sharps rifles has been creeping up to within $1,000 or so of Shiloh prices. I don't know much about the other brands, so buyer beware.

In reality, according to some sources, the most common BPCR rifle used in the Buffalo hunts in the West was the Remington Rolling Block. It doesn't have the nostalgic attraction of the Sharps as created by several movies depicting BPCR rifles in use, but the benefit is that the prices commanded for quality Rolling Block rifles in BPCR calibers are much less than for an 1874 Sharps design.

A rifle in 45-70 is the best bet, at least to start, as there are more supplies (bullets molds, etc) available for that caliber, it is low on recoil, and can use factory ammunition. With a 45-70, you could start with factory ammunition while you get acclimated to using open metallic sights (Peep, Buckhorn, Tangent, Ladder), and tackle loading Black Powder cartridges later on. The Remington 405gr factory load will approximate the velocity and trajectory that will be created by the BP loads you develop later on.

If you already have a Ruger #1 in 45-70, you could start by adding sights and learning to load BP cartridges for it.

More top follow as I continue my new mission :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an 1885 Hi-Wall in 38-55 from C. Sharps Arms Co.in Montana, and I'm very happy with it.

http://csharpsarms.com/

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will add a little bit to Biebs comments. Much of the reason the 45-70 is so popular in BPCRs is the availability of components and that the cartridge is competitive in the silhouette games. It also has the most loading data by an overwhelming number of shooters.

If you do not plan to shoot silhouettes in that sport there are other rounds such as the 38-55 that can be fun to shoot.

I am always one to save a buck on another rifle so I can afford another rifle so I can .....

The hard core competitors tend to shoot Shiloh rifles and sometimes Browning BPCRs. The popularity of the Shilohs is largely an affliction for the craftsmanship and a desire to have a first class American made rifle. The rifles most often fired in competition have a very heavy 30" barrel and weigh right at 12 lbs. These are often called Creedmoor, Creedmore or Long Range Express.

Used rifles are usually an outstanding bargain if you know how to buy used rifles.
The Browning and Winchester rifles are made by Miroku in Japan. The Browning BPCRs were built with American made hand lapped Badger barrels. This applies to the BPCR heavy barreled styled rifles only. I do not know what barrels are used on the Winchester versions. Browning rifles will compete with anyone's rifles and they are available used with a set of sights for way less than a Shiloh without sights. The Browning rifles are much more available on the used market than Shiloh. They are also much easier to shoot since the 1885 design is self cocking and does not have those pestiferous double set triggers.

Even more available on the used market are the Pedersoli rifles. They have been available for decades. Many buyers buy them and admire them until they shoot them once. Then the rifles may be held until the owner becomes incapacitated or expires. Then you find a new or almost new on the market at used gun prices. Pedersoli manufactures barrels that are second to none in my opinion. There is a video of the Pedersoli works making rifles and barrels on youtube.

Pedersoli rifles are available in Sharps 1874 type, 1885 High Wall Winchester (a recent addition so there are not many used available) and Remington Rolling block.

There 2 cautions about Pedersoli

1. Resist the urge to buy a rifle with the curved military rifle style butt plate. They will hammer you if you shoot 500 grain bullets with no padding for your shoulder. Always search for the flat style shotgun butt. I know this is a fact from experience.
2. Do not pay much extra for Pedersoli sights. One of the tang sights is called the "throw away sight" by some because it is so cheap and has very crude windage. If you shoot only at a fixed distance even that sight will work well for some. The other more elaborate Pedersoli sights work much better but are not suited for competition. If you do not shoot competition they are fine also.

Most of the other spaghetti rifles are clunkers for quality. There is one exception.
Some of the Uberti Sharps rifles are made by Pedersoli and are really good. However there are other Sharps type Ubertis made by other manufactures that are Pepe LaPews. The Uberti High Wall is a good rifle if you get one with a good barrel but none of the Uberti Highwalls are heavy enough for competition.

Cimarron also sells Pedersolis under their own name but are generally marked with the Pedersoli name.

TexasMac has a good site that talks mostly about the Browning type 1885s. TexasMac's site

C Sharps manufactured rifles from Big Timber Montana are first class also.

Then there is the Stevens 44 1/2 design that is available from CPA rifles aka singleshot rifles.

CPA Rifles at singleshot rifles

The one area where these rifles are not so expensive is the bullets used. Bullets are always cast and they are capable of fine accuracy at the low velocities.

There is also the Remington Hepburn falling block that was originally designed as a target rifle. I will add links later.

Remington Hepburn

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A new addition to the playing field is the Pedersoli M1877/78 being sold under the Lyman brand name. I have one coming from Lyman.

45-70, retail is about 2grand, but Buffalo Arms thinks about $1400 when they arrive. The M77/78 is a much more graceful looking iteration of the M74, slimmed down, shotgun butt plate.

As with the rest, get your iron or scope sights from MVA and be good to go.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An original Marlin "Pacific" ballard .45-70 isn't shabby either. At least mine sure wasn't. I'm sure they go for a tad more these days though than the $85 I sold mine for in 1964. (BTW, I bought it in NRA Excellent Condition, for $20, in late '62.)

But at least until recently, someone in Montana was making new Pacific Ballards.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, the 1877 is a nice style...a bit more sleek than the 1874, but much more "Sharps Looking" than the 1875. I see that Shiloh is getting ready to release their first 1877 rifles.

Lloyd, nothing wrong with a Ballard, for sure. I didn't know someone was making them again, but it figures the builder would be in Montana.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich--I just did a search on the Lyman 1877 Sharps, and it indicated that the rifle is made by Chiappa. The advertising accompaning the rifle would be a credit to the finest purveyors of snake oil from the from the 1870's. You might want to re check and be sure the rifle you have coming is indeed made by Pedersoli.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SG, I've seen a few advertised by dealers already, and all mentioned they were made for Lyman by Pedersoli. Yes, there are some "other" Italian brands to be avoided, for sure :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Lloyd, nothing wrong with a Ballard, for sure. I didn't know someone was making them again, but it figures the builder would be in Montana.

Jon - Sorry but my mind played a trick on me. They are apparently still in production, but not in Montana. The state does start with an "M" though ...They are being built in Ontac, Michigan by an outfit called (not surprisingly), the Ballard Rifle Company.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lloyd, looks like they're not quite up and running. Prices have not yet been determined for each model, and many models listed without photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could be that Lyman has Pedersoli making the larger calibers and Chiappa making the smaller ones on the old 'Lil Sharps' basic action. The Chiappa versions were in 38-55 and 22 Hornet.

In either case the Lyman offering is simply an Italian '74 action fitted with another stock to accomodate a back action lock and a smaller hammer. But then, that is basically how the original Sharps factory came up with the '77.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some dork, born of rich parents, bought Ballard for a plaything, and moved them to his home town area in Michigan several years ago.

The skilled employees chose not to move with him. The company is hanging on by a thread last reports.

You have to know what you are doing to build quality single shot rifles in larger than one at a time quantities.

Ballards feature a split receiver, like motorcycle cases. I would not care to be within 100yds of a new or original in 45-70 loaded with even a light load of smokeless...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coupla additional thoughts on getting started.
When I got my Browning BPCR...(kind of on a whim...)I knew NOTHING about loading and shooting such a rifle. It WAS PRE-INTERNET, at least for me, but fortunately I heard about Buffalo Arms. got them onthe phone..several times if memory serves...and found those folks to be a very friendly source of information and specialized supplies.
Also....for anyone starting out, I would absolutely and without hesitation STRONGLY recommend you begin with a 45/70. MOST of the guys I've shot with who, for whatever reason, just had to have a "Big 50", 45/90/120/140...etc...before they had a clue about what they were getting in to, have dumped them and either dumped BPCR too, or dropped back to a 45/70 that they could enjoy.
Your experience may differ...that's just an observation I've made over time and thought I'd share.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, heard that so many times...everybody HAS TO HAVE a big boomer in 45-120, 50-90, etc....then either drops out or drops back to a 45-70. Sooner or later I'll realize that, but from years of African hunting and big bores, I absolutely CRAVE a 50 :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first Sharps was a 45/70,it's long gone,although anything past the 45/70 adds to the cost & time to learn,I love the 45/110,it's my favorite for shooting & hunting.If I ever take a single shot to Africa,it will go with me.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post