THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    Alexander Henry 450/400 3-1/4" Falling Block
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alexander Henry 450/400 3-1/4" Falling Block
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Takedown too!

Posts: 3235 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stunning. You have wonderful toys, Huvius!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16337 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang, I think I shorted out the keyboard again. Drool is so hard to remove... Eeker

Beautiful!!

Posts: 965 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awww geeezzz....man that thing is gorgeous. steve isn't the only one with keyboard problems.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would enjoy Donald Dallas' book, The British Sporting Gun and Rifle: Pursuit of Perfection 1850-1900. When Alexander Henry began making falling block single shot side hammer rifles, he and I had the same idea - but he had it first.

I find Sharps side hammer rifles significantly easier to use, as a left-handed shooter, than a rightie would because the hammer does not interfere with my insertion of ammunition into the breech. Henry, a few years before me, offered his rifles with side hammer locks on the left side for right-handed shooters. Unfortunately for such a rational innovation, shooters of obsolescent percussion side lock rifles resisted that change. After a few years it passed from his standard catalog. This Henry information is in Mr. Dallas' beautiful book.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants to know why I don't shoot, hunt with, or own modern rifles (or shotguns), rather than another explanation I will direct them to this thread. What a fine rifle!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Gorgeous!

My Wesson #1 Long Range barreled action and wood are at dpcd's shop being turned into something I hope will look this good. Actually, I am very comfortable with the idea that it will.

Beautiful...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said cal, well said.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. How does it shoot?
I owned a Farmingdale Sharps in 45-3 1/4.
At 9 lbs. and a crescent butt plate, the recoil was noticeable.
M

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't got around to loading for it yet other than buying the brass. I'm hoping to get a nice paper patch mold for it and another Henry soon.

Posts: 3235 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius,
What a nice rifle! I don't know what you paid for it but I'll bet the selling price wouldn't cover the cost of that engraving if you had it done today. You are a lucky guy! Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine Wesson #1 is pictured in the forum. If I just had about another ten-grand to put into engraving like this...

Fine looking rifle, to say the least.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the apex of rifle development. All this plastic stainless steel crap with the star viewing telescopes mounted on it and a 30 round magazine hanging from it is a passing fad!!!

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those rifles simply ooze CLASS ! There is a nice one available locally that I have been seriously coveting.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4190 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pure class.

I look forward to seeing some target and game pics with her.
She deserves to be taken afield.

Thank you for sharing.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post