Find
Notify
Tools

50-90 load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello

I am searching for info. I am looking at a shotgun sxs conversion chambered in 50-90 with 20inch barrels. The regulated load shows 32gr of aa5744 with a 450gr bullet. Any opinions on what the velocity would be? I cannot find much online for this load.

Thanks
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are going to shoot real black powder, there is no reason to get a 50-90. Case capacity is too much for smokeless pressure application. 2.5 inch case can't be used, for low pressure rifles.
30 grains of 4198 is another possibility. Now, for strong rifles, you can use 50 alaskan load data. 2.1 inch case.
IE, 32 grains of 5744 will easily fit into a 50-70.
The velocity of your 5744 load is same as a BP load; 1250 fps. Don't double, or triple charge it. and don't use a filler with 5744.
Venturino has a chapter on it in his book; Shooting Buffalo Rifles, but all black powder loads.
Also look in Wright's book Shooting Double rifles and look at some Nitro for Black loads. You might interpolate some.
I would use Black Powder. What it's made for.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

A 450gr bullet at 1250fps is not what I am interested in out of a double. The gun is stamped under the barrels as the regulated load of 450gr with 32gr 5744 . I going to pass on the rifle. To anemic for what I want.

Thanks again!
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy was trying to keep pressures down to nothing. 5744 is used as a BP substitute; for velocity; not charge weight.
Widely used in BP cartridges for those who can't manage real BP.
It would be a fun rifle; of course any double rifle is fun.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
dpcd

Thank You for your input!