New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Shoot Paper Cartridge Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was watching a video on making the old paper cartridges use when rifles were converting to breech loading, but hadn't started using brass cases yet. It looks intriguing....get a replica 59-63 Sharps, and a paper cartridge kit from Dixie and go hunting Whitetails with a percussion carbine.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fooled with one for a while, Jon, a Sharps carbine. I wish I had been paying more attention and had been more patient when I had it. They can be very capable. If you hunt up Civilwarguns.com, I think there are some articles on this topic there.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, great...thanks. Looks fascinating.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm now in the paper cartridge business! I found a dealer that had a Pedersoli 1859 54 caliber Cavalry Carbine he couldn't move. Got it with a bunch of extras for $699...on its way shortly! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you're gonna find out what a rainbow trajectory REALLY looks like...A lot of fun for whitetails and hunting close in, though.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was very tempted by one once.
I had a brand new daughter.
Instead of buying a new Shiloh for $250 I bought a TV that ultimately became worthless. That same daughter plans to put a fish tank in the TV cabinet.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

PM me and I'll give you a brief tutorial if you haven't figured it out yet...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon, you stole that Pedersoli!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, great deal, for sure. I found where Buffalo Arms makes a brass insert for paper cartridge rifles, with a flash hole for ignition. You fill it with powder, pop a bullet on top, and you're good-to-go, if you don't want to get into the paper cartridge deal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kinda like the Maynard, and the Smith, and the Burnside et al ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with the BACO guys and they said the brass sleeve inserts work for the Pedersolis but not the Shiloh.
An alternative is Charlie's Tubes. Charlie Hahn sells cardboard paper cartridges to hold the powder with the Christmas tree bullet glued onto the top. I have a .54 Shiloh Berdan and it works very well. Doesn't always completely burn up the cartridge with a load of 65 grains, but it very convenient for making up ammo to carry into the field. Not sure about the various calibers offered.
His contact is 9 Locust Ct.
Berlin, Md 21811
410-208-4736 or
www.charliestubes.com

Shiloh also has them for sale.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of disposing of my cartridge guns and reloading equipment, powder, primers, etc., in favor of Shiloh Sharps 1863 Sporting Rifles and built-to-order muzzleloaders.

Were you to insist upon cartridge loading for breech-loading cap lock rifles, Charlie Hahn offers cardboard tubes plus detailed loading instructions for them. While you might assume cardboard tubes would remain lodged in a chamber or barrel, not so. Vacuum created by firing combustion "sucks" the tube out the muzzle. Mr. Hahn also alters Sharps 1863 reproductions for enhance gas seal.

Hope this information helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been there done that! Paper patching bullets is bad enough. The cartridges are OK but you can get more powder behind the bullet if you seat it and pour loose powder to fill chamber, a lot faster too.

Posts: 2827 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Srose, I did it your way when I owned an original Merrill. Dang, that thing had deep grooves in the barrel -- like a Swedish rolling block.
Hey Jon, did you get your carbine up and running yet?

– John Green, author